Maybe a stupid question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2fast4UOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1113

Gary
2001 Regal GS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Maybe a stupid question... Reply with quote

Is there any chance we could get a bin repository for all of us that tune? I know I am having one hell of a hard time getting going, but I am also not afraid to ask questions as some others are.

Shouldn't take up much space, just a bin and a list of mods on the car is all that is really needed. It would give us all a chance to see where we need to learn more and at least provide a basis on decision making.
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a party-pooper, but isn't the vast majority of that GM Intellectual Property? What do the UNYCGP legal experts have to say about that?

I guess my comparison would be that I can go and mod Xbox's and sell those (warranty void, but perfectly legal). But I cannot legally post code that contains Microsoft IP.

Now a repository of custom tables/data maybe, but I wouldn't think posting entire .bins would be good.
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now a repository of custom tables/data maybe, but I wouldn't think posting entire .bins would be good.

I don't see much problem in it......i mean the PCM is no longer property of GM it is your own property and you can do what you want to it. I guess i'm thinking in the terms of my home computer, if I wanna dump all my old software and update to new software, unless it is stolen from Microsoft, I am free to do whatever i please with my computer.

However, i dunno how GM would feel about you having all there .bins files open to the public to view....i guess that is bordering on some sort of copyright infrigment?

I'll wait to see what larmo says since it is his board, and his ass on the line. Wink
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you just say it's fictional, and test numbers for persoanal enjoyment or some shit?
2fast4UOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1113

Gary
2001 Regal GS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty Mac wrote:
Quote:

I don't see much problem in it......i mean the PCM is no longer property of GM it is your own property and you can do what you want to it. I guess i'm thinking in the terms of my home computer, if I wanna dump all my old software and update to new software, unless it is stolen from Microsoft, I am free to do whatever i please with my computer.

However, i dunno how GM would feel about you having all there .bins files open to the public to view....i guess that is bordering on some sort of copyright infrigment?

I'll wait to see what larmo says since it is his board, and his ass on the line. Wink

There is another bin site, but it is all V8 stuff. The site that hosts them did get asked to remove bins produced by Hypertec, but then again they were HOSTING the Hypertech software too! All the bins are up there with no issue so far, and I guess if GM is worried about 2 different cars then we should all worry! I doubt we are going to become a GMTarget with a dozen bins used for educational and instructional purposes only Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: