GP Rocker Panel Rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: GP Rocker Panel Rust Reply with quote

They all seem to get it if driven in the winter around here. I noticed it right away on my Duaghters 99 GP SE because it dosen't have the plastic moldings there like the GT or GTP has. I fiber glass cloth and Dura glassed them, painted and put some GT moldings on it. Not to bad looking and certainly cheap. It stopped slush and dirt from entering the rocker inside area and rusting them completley.
Looking at my 98 GTP I am seeing the rust on floor board near the rockers plastic molding, so I figure it is rusted there like the 99 was.
Has anyone (Cary?) had new metal welded in, if so, where and how much did it cost. Waht did you use for the welded in part?
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a veerrrry old thread about rusted rockers...I think someone had new metal welded in? Pat Smith / 1997isawful?
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can get replacement sheetmetal for those areas. A friend of mine that works at a body shop for a living confirmed that. I've got the same problem....but worse. Since I have nothing blocking the hole Shocked the gravel, rocks, sometimes water flying into the cabin. I probably vacuum out a lb. of crap every few mo.
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat did.
they is pics in the showroom on this site

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what it cost to have a body shop weld them in?
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a BAD problem with that, mostly passenger side Doug. The body shop I dealt with said the problem with getting new metal from GM was that it's all one freakin piece. A, B, C pillars and rockers all in one, which new was like $800 IIRC.

I called Ed Morad and he finally found a 4 door that wasn't rusty (took awhile however) He then cut the whole rocker section off and sent it to my body shop. He charged me like $350 sent (which was less than half of buying a new gm piece) BUT, the body shop guy said putting it in wasn't all that easy. Labor was like $1100 to completely cut out the passenger side and replace, as well as install a few patches on the driver's side and repair/paint any bad areas there as well. So it cost me around $1500 to put the car right again. Cheaper than buying a new car, but painfull.

I plan on driving her till I can get the Chevelle paid off which could be 3-5 years. Laughing

If you have the stupid plastic body panels on the rockers (GTP trim) TAKE THEM OFF FROM TIME TO TIME AND CHECK FOR RUST AND CLEAN THEM OUT!!! I never did and it cost me $1500 Embarassed

bunch of pictures-http://webpages.charter.net/citro/

http://webpages.charter.net/citro/gtp%20rust%20001.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/citro/gtp%20rust%20002.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/citro/gtp%20rust%20003.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/citro/gtp%20rust%20008.jpg
UNYCGP Council of Elders
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cary, sobering numbers!
Can anybody explain how to remove the rocker molding without damaging it or the mounts? It appears there are screws on the front and rear wheel wells, thats easy. But there is some kind of long metal bracket along the bottom edge of the molding under car. I don't know how that works, I also assume some pins are welded to rocker.
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Thanks Cary, sobering numbers!
Can anybody explain how to remove the rocker molding without damaging it or the mounts? It appears there are screws on the front and rear wheel wells, thats easy. But there is some kind of long metal bracket along the bottom edge of the molding under car. I don't know how that works, I also assume some pins are welded to rocker.

hmmm, didn't take mine off, body shop did, sorry Doug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: