Air Filter replacement & TB cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Air Filter replacement & TB cleaning Reply with quote

Decided to explore my new toy under the hood, found that loosening the air intake at the throttle body and popping the whole pipe and MAF out of the way makes changing the filter easier, also cleaned the throttle body while I had it all opened up.

Anyway the shocking thing was how full of gunk and leaves my "checklist certified" used car air intake was. Here's some pictures:

Most likely filter never changed in its 35,000 mile life [click pictures to make bigger]:

Lots of debris:

One of them things you shouldn't over look, I'm guessing I will see a fuel economy increase, and I know the throttle is a bit snappier now.
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That air filter is pretty bad, makes you wonder about the dealership.
If your not going to install a good CAI real soon, I would suggest you put in a K&N factory size filter panel, much better then the paper element, lets the SC get some more intack air, you can feel it.
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this process again this spring, some stuff in there, this time I have a K&N and haved cleaned.

One thing that kinda distrubed me, some water appears to have been sitting in the bottom of my intake as there is salt stains.

Also, there was some goop on my MAF screen, and honestly it smelled like at some point my K&N was burning, real bad smell that is familier from when I did my manifolds. No damage, just discoloration and smell to K&N. This will be my first time cleaning/re-oiling it.
Joe_OmertaOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 867

Joe Ventresca
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last september i found a gxp air box full of peanuts... FULL of peanuts. kinda weird, but still good(they were in there shells still so i figured why not try a few) Laughing
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN mice.......a car I was doing some work on, had a air box full of bird food and dog food. I've also had dog food nuggets in my glove box. Mice are EVERYWHERE!!! Shocked
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figured out what that smell was, probably from the Lancaster Burnout competition. Discovered that same smell in a wheel well spot Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: