water in headlight assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: water in headlight assembly Reply with quote

I have a headlight assembly that is getting condensation on the lens, other wise its like new. What was the best fix for this problem?
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttt
NY GTPOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 967

Rich Boddy
1997 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling a very small hole or two in an area of the assembly that does not provide easy access for water or other debris usually works. I did it to my foglights on my Camaro and it worked for me Very Happy
2000 NBM Z28 | SLP lid | Ebay LT's w/ TSP ORY | Magnaflow catback | New Era tune | Pro 5.0 | Monster Stage2 and Tick master | BMR springs/Bilstein HD's | Spohn Adj. LCA/Panhard | Fast Toys ram-air | !EGR, !AIR
12.87 @ 110 - 1.97 60'''' - 336whp/352wtq
dezldave961Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about this also, since I've had small lakes form in my headlights and corners before. My tails are also horrible, due to de-lamination. Might re-seal them and do the holes for insurance.

Damn GM and their cheap-o glue.

- Dave
1998 Daytona GTP #838 - I/C*d MP112 L26 - Rust in Peace, engine saved
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem, tried drilling holes to no avail. kept coming back

bought new headlights and clear siliconed the hell out of them before installing around all the joints (used a Q tip and spread them out evenly) since then, no problems
UNYCGP Council of Elders
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeamber reading about drilling holes in the assy , but that seems to go against the sealing with RTV fix most often talked about. My problem is the inside of the assembly has water droplets covering most of the lens, I need to clear that up without leaving a film and then seal the capsule from further leaks. Hmm, take it off and use a hair dryer?
RedGT02Offline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 34

Tammy
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem in one rear taillight and one corner marker light on front. Seems to be pretty common. I took them off...blew dry with a blowdryer, went all around the light with the clear silicone then at the bottom drilled two (front light) and three (taillight) very small holes and that seemed to finally correct the problem.Much cheaper than spending $$ one new ones that prolly would've done the same in time anyway.
EdmundGTPOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 520

Ed Alexander
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even tell you guys how many times I dried out the headlight and corner light capsules on my GP. Best way to get them dry. Completely pull the capsule or corner lamp out of the headlight bracket. Swing the capsule in a fast circle with your arm so that most of the moisture pools into one corner of the lens, then stuff as much of a paper towel as you can inside through the bulb opening and shake it around vigorously with the paper towel in side. Pull out the paper towel with some needle nose pliers, and then whatever small droplets are left can be dried with a hair dryer.
Once they're all dry, they key to keeping them way is re-sealing them. Re-silicone all of the joints on the lens. Also take a look at how well the bulb gaskets seal against the light housing.. I had to replace the O-rings that sealed my corner lamp bulbs to keep water from dripping in when it rained heavily.

3.25/1.9/DHP/TOG/BORLA/M90PORT/
PalermoCorey90Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 811

2007 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im almost a pro at doing this.

BEFORE

Take the headlights off the car.

Remove them from the bracket, also the same for corner lens

Use a Heat gun or hair dryer, i used a heat gun its much faster. And heat up the lens glue that holds it in place.

when its all nice a gooey peel them apart

then scrape out all that sh!t

wipe everything all down

once all clean go to napa or a auto parts store and get clear silicone, do a nice bead inside of the groove. and squeeze the lens black into place. use a few C clamps to hold it in place. if the silicone oozes out thats ok.

after it dries, use a razor blade and cut off the access till it looks nice.

added precaution, i did this with my lights because there after market. do another bead of silicone around the out side edge of the light to prevent water from getting into the light housing.( i went pretty heavy on the silicone)

** also make sure the water isn't getting in thru or around the seal around the bulbs, i used silicone around them also**

AFTER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: