Winter tuning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3800powerOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Winter tuning Reply with quote

Few things I would like to do before winter, but one thing I am unsure of, so I need some knowledge/opinions.

Kinda a side note, I think 3rd gear is starting to go on my car, so I am going to do a pan drop. Also, I figured since that is happening, and also with winter coming up, I would bump up a bit with the SC pulley. Since it is currently tuned for the 3.3", if I went to a larger pulley, such a 3.6", or even a 3.8", would that really mess up my fueling that bad that I should not do that?

Also, this is kind of a curve ball, I figured for a few reasons I might try this. Since I will be running lower boost, and also since the car would start easier in the cold weather, would running 87 octane, along with that 3.8? pulley, mess up the tune as well?

Thanks for any help.
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering the octane, I think it's just a matter of whether or not you get knock. You would have to scan and probably retune to run 87 octane. Even a stock supercharged engine is supposed to run on premium.
3800powerOffline
Intercooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that, but going from 9-10ish lbs of boost, down to about 5, I am pretty sure the drop in 6 points of octane, is not that bad. Obviously I would scan to make sure I am not getting knock, as well.

Any ideas on going from the 3.3-3.8 pulley's? Good idea? Bad idea?
PalermoCorey90Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 811

2007 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran the 3.8 on my regal with no problems. then again our roads were cover in snow, so its not like i was going WOT
dezldave961Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason for wanting to go up a pulley in the winter? I see you listen to the sh*t talkers on the nat'l boards a bit too much. Razz I ran a 3.0 pulley in my car for 3-4 winters, and whatever pulley I was setup for, in winters before that. Your tune should be conservative enough to work fine, as most usually are. Going hard on the pedal in a stock L67 or a modded one will spin the tires the same in bad weather, and making a bunch of changes will only give a bunch of headache trying to go back in the spring. (not saying I'm psychic about these things, but I foresee a post something like "need help tuning my car back for 3.3 and premium", even if "everything should be the same as last year?")

Think of it this way, if you have to ask questions like this... meaning you aren't comfortable making/monitoring theses types of changes alone... should you really be comforted by a bunch of people typing words into a message forum about the well-being of your car?

- Dave
1998 Daytona GTP #838 - I/C*d MP112 L26 - Rust in Peace, engine saved
3800powerOffline
Intercooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I want to do it is because I know if I back off the boost, I won't enjoy the feeling of going WOT, so I won't beat on my car. lol.

But yeah, if I leave everything the way you kept it, and I cleared the fuel trims in the spring, shouldn't everything be back to the way the tune was when you tuned it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: