Any tuning to stock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking of what I am going to do.

My resonator is on its way out, maybe a year or so for it I was told. When that goes I'll start on the exhaust.

From there I'll start small, 3.5 pulley, I'll see where that and the exhaust gets me.

For now I'll just keep putting money aside in preparation and have a talk with a guy I know who does tuning and see what he can do with it, unless any of you would like to offer your services Smile

One guy I was talking to however said that I could probibly get away with a 3.5 pulley with the stock exhaust...I imagine I would at least need the downpipe changed, that seems like a common first move. That or watch it blow something.

With the mild 3.5 pulley mod I think I'll still be able to daily drive and shouldn't have any issues running it for over 5 years.
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a jerk...... But how is everything on your car going bad? IIRC you have a 2005, and you already have bad tires(rubber breaking down) and now the resonator is falling off???

I have a 2002 driven all year long, then put away dirty and nothing is falling off my car.....Shit I JUST got rid of the stock tires and besides the fact they were bald they were in perfect condition.

To be honest I think you are either getting some bad advice or are confused on what you are looking at??

Now back on topic.....

You can run a 3.4/3.5 without a downpipe or exhaust, intake and 1* colder plugs will be fine. Downpipe will give you better results in the long run and create more power with less potential for detination, but by putting a 3.5 on you are not going to blow up ANYTHING!!!!!

For your best interest I suggest going to the national site and RESEARCHING EVRYTHING you possibly can, not only is it easier to get answers it is actually quite rewarding learning everything you can. I never even owned a GTP but I can tell you ALOT about modding them, because I spent the time reading all the posts I could.

Just my $.02
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nats ftw.

I'd do a downpipe before any pulley swap.

Thing of it is...a downpipe will improve performance even with a stock pulley and can only make your car safer....

+1 on not knowing how your resonator can already be bad...historically, they're good for 5-6 years from what I've seen
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an early 04 (sold in November of 03) and the tires have life on them, but are dry rotting, I should contact BFGoodrich to see what their tire warranty is, maybe I can get a few bucks after they prorate them.

The exhaust system has a plenty of surface rust, the resonator looks the worst, and they said if there was one part I would have to worry about it would be the resonator...

I looked at my invoice on my muffler tips again and I apologize, I was mistaken, it said that the resonator looks like the only part I will have to worry about in the next "couple" years.

Not falling off just rusting Smile

I have been reading the national site but as with anyone I would like to talk with locals. I have recently seen the "order of mods" post and was wondering if there was much to deviate from that list, a list is one thing, especially with so many voices shouting different things.

As always thanks for your replies.

So as it stands now:
Downpipe/Intake
1* Colder Plugs/3.5

I know a PCM tune would be needed with the pulley.

I'll get setup on the national site soon as my bank account grows Smile They seem to always suggest headers before any pulley swap and talk alot of knock retard.
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only knock retards on the nats are the n00bs posting heresay without any of their own experience. You dont need money to read on the nat board just gray matter between the ears.

Listen to what Scotty Mac said. I ran a 3.4 with stock DP and saw some KR. Big deal. I was seeing 2.5* constant at WOT with a stock pulley and was able to run the 3.4 with a max of 3 or 4 degrees spikes once I tuned with an AFC. That was 40,000 miles ago.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See thats the info I needed, from there I can filter threw all the vast amount of information on the national site.

Now I have a place to start and aim for.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intense seems to have some nice packages, their Level one looks to be a good starting place (link: http://www.intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IPP-671&Category_Code=P&Product_Count=2 ) from the pictures it looks like their cold air intake is nothing but a tube that puts a filter....into the fender. ZZP might be the way to go for a CAI, but sometimes the K.I.S.S. philosophy is the best medicine. I could just piece it all together from here, there, and everywhere and probibly save a bit, although most seems priced the same.

Its hard to get a good look at 'stuff' online, I'll have to attend a meet to see some of this 'stuff' in person.

Not in to much of a rush, my priorities on the car right now are tires, to CAI, then the thermostat, colder plugs, pulley (probibly 3.6 or 3.5 to start) in one shot, might do something with the beauty cover to customize it a bit or just loose it all together. Thats if I piece it and just don't do that intense package.

Follow that up with exhaust changes, downpipe, maybe loose the resonator for a bit more sound..although my reading has turned up it doesn't do to much and I don't mind a "sleeper" style exhaust note and drone free cabin. May as well show off that pulley sound.

A guy I know from Swerve thats has a Cobalt SS said I should check out New Era sometime and find a red GTP, think I've seen it floating around here in a sig.

All depends how the cookie crumbles with any repairs, unexpected income shifts, you know the typical car guy bank account worries Smile

so thats the update to my starting point, bought the canvas, have the brushes, just need the paint Smile
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
Intense seems to have some nice packages, their Level one looks to be a good starting place (link: http://www.intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IPP-671&Category_Code=P&Product_Count=2 ) from the pictures it looks like their cold air intake is nothing but a tube that puts a filter....into the fender. ZZP might be the way to go for a CAI, but sometimes the K.I.S.S. philosophy is the best medicine. I could just piece it all together from here, there, and everywhere and probibly save a bit, although most seems priced the same.

Intense has some poor history when it comes to 04+ PCMs, LSDs and a couple other things.... Granted, I haven't been having great experiences with ZZP recently (but nothing that would cause my engine or trans to go boom), so either way, buyer beware.

BigEd88 wrote:

Its hard to get a good look at 'stuff' online, I'll have to attend a meet to see some of this 'stuff' in person.

July 11 at the track (maybe) or August 11 (definitely)!

BigEd88 wrote:

Not in to much of a rush, my priorities on the car right now are tires, to CAI, then the thermostat, colder plugs, pulley (probibly 3.6 or 3.5 to start) in one shot, might do something with the beauty cover to customize it a bit or just loose it all together. Thats if I piece it and just don't do that intense package.

Follow that up with exhaust changes, downpipe, maybe loose the resonator for a bit more sound..although my reading has turned up it doesn't do to much and I don't mind a "sleeper" style exhaust note and drone free cabin. May as well show off that pulley sound.

Thermostat = $5, Plugs = $10, do a Home Depot FWI (or use with Intense or ZZP tubing) = $75 (with tubing and 9" K&N filter). Then spend your money on a 3.4" pulley, downpipe and catback and you and your car will be very happy. A couple of us could probably load a new program to your PCM for a couple beers. A spare PCM is (or was) ~$50 from Ed Morad (moradpartscompany.com).

BigEd88 wrote:

A guy I know from Swerve thats has a Cobalt SS said I should check out New Era sometime and find a red GTP, think I've seen it floating around here in a sig.

studderin
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redross17 wrote:
[

Intense has some poor history when it comes to 04+ PCMs,

and cobalt tunes

sg2 sg3 sg4
all dyno like 30hp less then they claim, And New Era tuned, are Lean, to much timming, and are the onlt cars that are blowing up about 1/4 of them.

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, guess I'll avoid their PCM for sure.

How is their modular pulley system? Looks very similar to the ZZP...in pictures can't really see a difference in pulleys Razz Guess I could just get a 3.5 press-on to split the difference of 3.6/3.4 and probibly could get away with just the intake, 3.5 pulley (stat/plugs), tune, prior to the exhaust to get where I would like to be for now...probibly get away with a 3.6 with just an intake.

Although in the long run, free flowing exhaust, free flowing intake= easier engine operation and better gas mileage so I think I'll start their. 2 paths that end up in the same place. Suggestions for exhaust shops that could do a down pipe cheap? There are bolt-on options I look at too.

With the stock PCM, I'm guessing its "locked" so you can't tune it without flashing it with a baseline file at least.

Keeping this all in mind my vehicle could travel up to 300miles a week (20 miles mostly highway to work), thats why I figured I'd start with a mild 3.6 or 3.5 pulley.
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
Keeping this all in mind my vehicle could travel up to 300miles a week (20 miles mostly highway to work), thats why I figured I'd start with a mild 3.6 or 3.5 pulley.

Ultimately, the pulley doesn't matter...only your foot!
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock PCM isnt locked. I can tune it, we have a dyno at the shop and HPtuners.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah good to know, I'll certainly have to check the shop out when its time for a tune.

Good point about the foot being the final say, I do like to hot-rod it from time to time, winding road at the end/beginning of the work commute makes it hard not to have some "spirited" driving. I could learn to "control" myself every other day Razz
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering the Wizaired Cold Air Induction System if I don't make my own.

So running the numbers:
Wizaired intake: ~$210
Looking at getting the AEM Dryflow filter~$60
~$270 shipped.

Goggling that comes up with many saying it doesn't flow as well as K&N and other cotton filters..but it does do a much better job at filtering...which I need working at a construction site. Its cleanable and reusable. My vehicle always has a nice coat of dirt and dust at the end of the day no matter where I park it and when all the workers leave at the end of the day the dust is flying pretty good...if I'm stuck leaving behind the cube or dump trucks the dust they kick up is pretty thick...and I'm usually not in the mood to wait for the dust to clear Razz

Now around $270... a number I can afford and isn't too bad. Easily knock $100 off if I do a DIY intake.

Interestingly enough on the ZZP website they say the first thing you can do is go to a 3.5 pulley (even before an intake!?)....if thats referring to a series II engine I suppose going to a 3.6 and colder plugs would still be following their "guidelines"...that would also explain why SLP/ZZP offer OEM look a like 3.5 pulleys...which would be nice to have the dealer not ask questions if I should have to bring it in for service....but with an intake they would probibly figure it out.

As far as the down pipe options go, is the "3 inch shorty" sufficient for a 04+ exhuast? It doesn't look like I have that restrictive u-bend they picture...and I could have sworn I read that the 04+'s don't have that exhaust "feature"...shipping on a downpipe is probibly up there, will see what they quote... If i go with the full I could do it with a friend in the driveway Smile (I don't know how to weld so the shorty would need to be done at a shop)

I know my posts are long but I try to cram in as much info that I know as I can so you don't have to ask me questions on my questions Razz
So in summary:
3.5 or 3.6 ok with stock airbox or needs CAI and colder plugs or just CAI?
Downpipe ZZP 3inch "shorty" or full with cat needed?

In all honesty I think my best route is to be patient and do as one of you fine forum members said and plop it all on in one shot...even though it is hard not to pull the trigger and just buy a 3.5 to put on....I suppose to hold me over I can build or buy the CAI Smile
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SLP press on 3.5 pulley hanging on my garage wall I will sell you if you want. I bought it for my 2000 SSEi when it was a few months old and had 3000 miles on it. $25
I have seen a K&N cone filter with a slip on foam cover someplace, that would be good for the dust and dirt and could be removed for the track. Probably could make one easy. I think taking your car to the track in Liecester before you start moding is a good idea, gives you a before and after base line as you mod. Also get someone to Atap (scan) it stock to check it out before moding is a good idea. If your having KR or other issues stock you want to know.
I still say the 1st thing to do, like yesterday, would be an intake mod, slip in K&N at least but a CAI 9" cone would be best. The cars need to breath better then stock intake lets them even with stock 3.8 pulley, and its easy to do. Good luck in getting to your performance goal.
I would not recommend any vendors packages except as a simple guide to get you thinking, they all are over priced IMO.
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: