Any tuning to stock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I'll jump on that. All I need is a time and place to pick it up, and I
I'll hand over the cash Smile I'll PM ya for more info.

I know volant sells "sleeves" for their filters to grab debris.

Last night after meeting up with some friends I popped the hood when I got home to have an even closer look at the air box assembly.

I'm actually surprised they didn't make the stock air box pull at least some air from the front quarter panel area, theirs a very open path to clean air there thats separated from the hot engine bay air simply because its so isolated...that could be a very low pressure zone from a siphoning effect...could also be it would have made the stock airbox to loud, not a problem for me.

Anyone ever thought about using shop vac filters? When new they flow good and heck they are cheap, only thing I would have to fabricate is a way to clog the hole in the tip of the cover. They even come in a few "styles". That would be taking a HomeDepot intake to another level Razz I'd have to wonder w/o the interior rib support if it would collapse on itself, some wire mesh would solve that problem.

Since I work M-F 8-5 My time during the week is limited. I could make some late runs at Lancaster on tuesday, probibly someone their would have a scanner Smile
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that you guys haven't see stock exhausts before but in all honesty, other than not being 3inches, it doesn't look too restrictive:

Also what is this "bulge" on the inside of my front passenger side tire:

Images are all click-able thumbnails.
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your motor is stock, yeah, that exhaust is fine. Wink
You can't see what's probably the biggest restriction, which is the internal diameter of the downpipe where it connects to the exhaust manifold.

A ZZP shorty would fit fine.....assuming you're having extra pipe (and optionally a cat) welded in to hook it up to your catback....so it's probably meaningless. We don't have the 97-03 u-bend, and yes the 3.4/3.5 drop w/o any breathing mods was likely directed at 97-03 as well...though I imagine anyone would tell you that you really should do intake/exhaust work anyway to get the most out of it.

The bulge in the tire is a manufacturing defect and should be warrantied.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, Brian. If it looks good from the outside, then it flows good Idea
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just like to understand the why behind the theory Smile

So I guess a 2.5 downpipe would be fine really, since I wont be doing headers and the main problem is the that it collapses down....I don't see the point in sticking a 3 inch section in the middle of 2.5 inch system...unless I went the route of a complete 3 inch system.

Its just the pulley seemed like quick cheap horsepower even if I don't get it to its full potential right away.

For a cold air intake I suppose i could just cut and gut a bit of the stock box and add a pipe over to the fenderwell....its just that section of pipe where it turns looks kinda restricted.

Last edited by BigEd88 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
redross17Offline

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
So I guess a 2.5 downpipe would be fine really, since I wont be doing headers and the main problem is the that it collapses down....I don't see the point in sticking a 3 inch section in the middle of 2.5 inch system...unless I went the route of a complete 3 inch system.

A gas requires more volume at higher temps than it does at lower temps...more room near the business end of the system is better than less.

BigEd88 wrote:
Is the bend in the downpipe too severe for a simple pipe to be bent to fit? is that the purpose of the stainless flex?

It's so when the motor rocks it doesn't rip your exhaust system apart. Although I'm not sure that PaceSetter grasps this idea....

BigEd88 wrote:

For a cold air intake I suppose i could just cut and gut a bit of the stock box and add a pipe over to the fenderwell....its just that section of pipe where it turns looks kinda restricted.

Some do just that, and wrap it in Reflectix insulation...
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I posted that I kinda figured it had something to do with shifting and thats probibly why they make the pipe so thick up there....anyway on that national site I'm not sure what the mean by this "A shop can put together a 3" for about $120.00 welding to your existing flex pipe."

All I saw under there was pipe and an ugly looking thing I guess is the cat. (this was in the 2004+ Specific forum mods to get list). Probably adding the cat into the figure brings it up to $200? Don't really know what they mean.

That would certainly drop the price, zzp wants about 300 shipped for their stainless 304 version. (thats the version with the cat..I could drop down to their aluminumized version and save 50 bucks but I think stainless is the way to go).

Well assumeing I just go the create a hole in the airbox, pipe it to colder place idea that'll cost me nothing.

So if I went ahead an got the stainless downpipe from ZZP and all the other goodies (plugs/t-stat/gaskets-washers) that would put me at a solid $360 including the pulley I hope to get from the generous Doug.

From their I'll get a nice tune from New Era...I'll have to get thier rates but I expect it couldn't be tooo hard on the wallet.

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge your're all spewing at me.
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, your stock DP is double walled tubing. It looks larger with a little larger the 2.5 OD when you look at it form the outside. But see all the dents in it. Its so the 2 layers are locked in nice and dont rattle and stay soild. Also the stock flex has a inner and outer insert to strengthen it. I have cut a whole GP apart for the stock airboxes to the tips. I know the sizes of the top of my head. lol

But the smallest restrion is the ID if the flex in the DP. Its 2.10, next in the outlet of the front manifold thats 1.53 but only half the CID is passing thu it.

Ive never dyno tuned a stock GP. But Mike at NewEra tuned my camrao when I only had a airbox lid, and I did some free mods. The car makes great power, and he got good power gains form a car with only one mod really.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/studderin/IMG_3711.jpg

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been really playing with ideas in my head regarding the exhaust.

If I did the downpipe, got a 3 inch resonator, and just put pipes to tips, I'd imagine my car would be louder, maybe sound good, and be a good option down the road.

Something like this (my doodle I did while brainstorming, at the very least a chuckle for all):

Figured I'd head over to Mufflerman and see what kind of estimate they give me...especially if I bring such parts as the Flex, Cat, Resonator, (all purchasable from ZZP) and the tips are already on the car which they put on Smile
Was thinking:
Flo-Pro Resonator- $59.99
Magnoflow Cat- $69.99
Interlock Flex- $39.99
Plus whatever the custom bending and such costs.

Just something I came up with if I don't grab the bolt on downpipe and if I want to dich my "cat back", ditching the resonator on the other hand seems to be a popular option to, that would give me 3 inch all the way to the split....although sometimes I think its better to go the silent route with these cars, hard to find the right combination to make them sound pleasing. This ain't to bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spo6BdX32xI
redross17Offline

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
I'd imagine my car would be louder, maybe sound good

One outta two's all right!

I'm gonna wager that you should plan on having a couple more bucks around for when three days after driving around you get sick of not having mufflers, or the friendly Amherst police make you get some.
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not gona work you have a gas tank in the middle on the back ends
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from these sound files it didn't seem that bad Razz
http://www.rmcgp.com/exhaust/willy_idle.wav
http://www.rmcgp.com/exhaust/willy_draggn.wav
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres really no reason (besides making things harder on yourself) to have an exhaust run any other way besides stock. Some of us have been around grand prixs since...98 or so. We've seen every idea you can think of for exhaust. So, please believe me when I say that running the stock routing is your best bet. Besides, you're stock in every way. If my car can run mid 12s through 2.5" exh. with STOCK Y and STOCK mufflers...its not that bad stock. Do whateveryou want as for mufflers....all sound pretty shitty at wot.
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
from these sound files it didn't seem that bad Razz
http://www.rmcgp.com/exhaust/willy_idle.wav
http://www.rmcgp.com/exhaust/willy_draggn.wav

Barf.

You can't make a 90* V6 sound good. Ever.
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sad that my 3100sfi sounded better than even the 10sec. 3800's

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: