Any tuning to stock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downpipe has been nice, seeing a nice jump in fuel economy (atleast 1mpg) and I haven't been driving slower (actually faster on the highway)..I have been hammering it from time to time to hear the exhuast Smile

Last edited by BigEd88 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got a scanner hooked up to check knock. Seems to max out around 3-4 when doing a wide open throttle run, but at cruising speeds giving it some gas in third or fourth gear yielded a maximum of 7 KR.

This is pre-pulley, I'm sure I'll have to have some tuning done post pulley.

Right now the vehicle has on it a CAI, 180 Thermostat, Downpipe/GMPP resonator. Haven't done the plugs or the pulley yet. Was reading on the national board that some don't go to a colder plug.

Also noticed after I changed the oil (not really sure if its been their since I got the car or not) a very light ticking sound, seems to be their all the time, has me a bit worried if I should put a pulley on until I figure out what it is, engine oil is at proper level on the dip stick.

I tried to narrow down where the ticking is come from, and I think its over by the oil filter or at least that side of the engine.
JSelkOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 351

Jeffrey Selk
2004 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

The ticking could be the lifters. Next time you hear it, put your ear or a glass or something up against your valve covers and see if that's where the sound is coming from. The ticking happens sometimes with certain oil filters and oil combinations (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

What octane gas are you running? I don't know how much you played with my PT, but if you press the space bar it will start logging so you can export the log to CSV and post it here so all can see. My scan history should be in the software, but if it's not we'll at least need O2, LTFT, STFT, spark advance, knock retard, IAT, ECT, Engine Speed, vehicle speed, current gear.

-Jeff

2004 GT1
*COMPLETE MODS*
17" GM Accessory Rims
Pacesetters
Wizaired CAI
TOP SWAP
Powrtuner
XP Cam, 105# Springs
ZZP S2 I/C
Autolite 103s
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
Well got a scanner hooked up to check knock. Seems to max out around 3-4 when doing a wide open throttle run, but at cruising speeds giving it some gas in third or fourth gear yielded a maximum of 7 KR.

Crystal Ball say, "You have stock PCM."

BigEd88 wrote:

This is pre-pulley, I'm sure I'll have to have some tuning done post pulley.

Right now the vehicle has on it a CAI, 180 Thermostat, Downpipe/GMPP resonator. Haven't done the plugs or the pulley yet. Was reading on the national board that some don't go to a colder plug.

Crysal Ball not lie.
Rule of thumb say, "Only go as cold as necessary."

BigEd88 wrote:

Also noticed after I changed the oil (not really sure if its been their since I got the car or not) a very light ticking sound, seems to be their all the time, has me a bit worried if I should put a pulley on until I figure out what it is, engine oil is at proper level on the dip stick.

I tried to narrow down where the ticking is come from, and I think its over by the oil filter or at least that side of the engine.

Rule of wrist say, "Remove oil filler cap+neck and see if get louder."

Labatt Blue say, "Drink me!"
Later...
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the oil change with an AC Delco and Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30. Nothing abnormal about the way the old oil looked.

I almost always run 93 Octane Mobil, stations on the way to work, and one of the stations have 5 cents off super plus on Mondays/Wednesdays Smile

I did figure out the logging while adding some gauges, pretty easy to use program all in all, took me longer to find how to retrieve the logs than to create them Razz I'll make another one up with the parameters you listed and post them here (might need help hosting).

Worst case I'll have Ross look at them tomorrow at the mini-mod driveway meet Razz

I'll pop the cap/neck off and see what I come up with, its an almost unnoticeable tick, but its there, I think all the time.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright here's the file, I think I got all the inputs you wanted...and some Razz

http://www.driveway.com/ldoxe98926

Last edited by BigEd88 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight ticking sound is most likely the injectors firing....older the injectors louder they get! I've heard some GPs that sound like they had been converted to diesel!!!!! Razz
JSelkOffline
Supercharged

Jeffrey Selk
2004 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

It looks to me like you might be running a little lean? I think you were WOT at the 214 - 235 range on your scan. At WOT, both LTFT and STFT should be 0 (or very close to it). Your STFTs were 0 but LTFTs were both ~-3.4... And the KR never stopped until you took off the throttle...
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, heres the first scan, a lot more driving, not sure all the info you need but here it is: http://www.driveway.com/igodz36892

Strange color scheme, but you can see the knock I get when the engine is under heavy load (such as flooring it in third). That was when I was playing around with how to do this and that with the software, haven't done any actual tuning, just logging.

There is a section where I wound it up to 120 for the scan from about 10-20mph, knock was in the 2-4, mostly right around 3 range.

Seems it general it runs rich, but when I go wide open begins to lean out? I think thats how Ross explained it to me today.
redross17Offline

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:

Seems it general it runs rich, but when I go wide open begins to lean out? I think thats how Ross explained it to me today.

lol...I guess I didn't do such a good job. I think you got that from the fuel trim conversation? They are not recalculated during WOT. They are learned during "normal" driving. At WOT, the computer basically uses the last known trims. If they were negative, the motor could be missing out on a lot of fuel and start breaking things. Same is true for positive values, but they have to be much farther off--but will still cost you power. The motor actually is programmed to run richer over time during WOT....at least until it starts cutting of injectors.

In a nutshell, you want your LTFTs to be close to 0 during normal driving so that when it takes that last known value at WOT, the motor will be fed almost exactly what is commanded, instead of having an assumed + or - adjustment to the commanded fueling.

During normal driving, your trim adjustment to hit 14.7 AFR might need to be -7.0 for a particular MAF/MAP/IPW/RPM/Load (and other variables, no doubt. heh-heheh..load) combination. If you reset your PCM, your STFTs and LTFTs will start at 0. Your STFTs will then swing negative to pull your LTFTs toward -7.0 (it doesn't know that's the goal, but I'm saying it's the end result for this example). As your LTFTs approach -7.0, the PCM will determine that's where it wants to be, and your STFTs will approach 0, reducing the amount the LTFTs change. If the weather changes and the PCM decides it needs to be closer to -6.0, your STFTs will go positive a little to nudge your LTFTs less negative.
Then, if you decide to go WOT, the PCM will look up against it's known trim tables for the MAF/MAP/etc combinations and use those values since it's now kinda busy and can't be bothered with that math shit to figure out the correct trims. Shocked Laughing Stay in school, kids.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured out what the check engine light was, actually showed a code. Its the low cat efficiency code so I'll be looking into solving that problem before inspection time....next spring. Smile Could that also effect my fuel trims?
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I still confused a bit...but I did make the table easier to read and bolded areas I found interesting:
http://www.driveway.com/llhyv13106

A negative LTFT (what my car has, very much so at times) means the car is generally running lean(er than 14.7 A/F)? When it switches to the next trim map (for full throttle not cruising) it begins to add fuel.....so I see STFT going positive, That would be why after a WOT run or knock it would appear my STFT are showing positive, because its adding fuel, to late but adding it none the less.

When I see the STFT being positive that means it's richening RIGHT NOW and negative means its leaning out RIGHT NOW. I think I have that down. So if I went in the tables and "generally" added fuel it would creep the LTFT's closer to positive and keep the STFT's hopefully near zero, which would mean in general it has richened. To much fuel and I'll see positive LTFT's, to little and I'll see negative?

Am I in the right ballpark wrong seat or have I not left my house yet?
JSelkOffline
Supercharged

Jeffrey Selk
2004 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
OK so I still confused a bit...but I did make the table easier to read and bolded areas I found interesting:
http://www.driveway.com/llhyv13106

A negative LTFT (what my car has, very much so at times) means the car is generally running lean(er than 14.7 A/F)? When it switches to the next trim map (for full throttle not cruising) it begins to add fuel.....so I see STFT going positive, That would be why after a WOT run or knock it would appear my STFT are showing positive, because its adding fuel, to late but adding it none the less.

When I see the STFT being positive that means it's richening RIGHT NOW and negative means its leaning out RIGHT NOW. I think I have that down. So if I went in the tables and "generally" added fuel it would creep the LTFT's closer to positive and keep the STFT's hopefully near zero, which would mean in general it has richened. To much fuel and I'll see positive LTFT's, to little and I'll see negative?

Am I in the right ballpark wrong seat or have I not left my house yet?

Kind of...

When you see negative LTFTs and STFTs it doesn't necessarily mean your car is running lean. It simply means that the load on the engine doesn't demand the amount of fuel designated by 0 (Zero) LTFT / STFT. So it subtracts the amount % of the demand from the engine. So if this helps, WOT should be 0 STFT and LTFT because the engine load is 100%, it needs 100% of the fuel and, therefore, doesn't subtract any fuel. The fact that you've got negative STFT values at WOT is of concern; maybe even first concern.

STFTs need to be very, very close to zero. This can be done through tuning and usually, it's not too extensive (compared to other tasks, of course).

Too be honest, I think you really, really need some exhaust work like we talked about on Sunday. Especially since you're running 9+ PSI on a stock pulley. That's a concerning as well.

We can try to get rid of your KR through tuning, but I don't think that it's worth the time put in to resolve it. Frankly, KR scales back engine timing for the current situation (engine load, MAP, IPW, IAT, etc) and we would basically be doing the same thing.

Also, the best way to determine if you're running rich / lean is with the O2 readings. The higher the O2 levels means that there're higher levels of air / fuel post combustion as low O2 levels means there's low levels of air / fuel post combustion.

Save this file, and read it about 10 times and try to understand everything. It will give you a real good idea as to what's going on. http://www.absoluteselk.com/grandprix/Tuner_Rev_1.0.9h.doc

-Jeff
redross17Offline

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSelk wrote:
STFTs need to be very, very close to zero. This can be done through tuning and usually, it's not too extensive (compared to other tasks, of course).

Actually, your STFTs will always approach 0. The proximity to 0 indicates how much your LTFTs have settled. Once your STFTs are generally close to 0, you can start making MAF adjustments based on your LTFTs.

JSelk wrote:

We can try to get rid of your KR through tuning, but I don't think that it's worth the time put in to resolve it. Frankly, KR scales back engine timing for the current situation (engine load, MAP, IPW, IAT, etc) and we would basically be doing the same thing.

Tune the fueling first.

JSelk wrote:

Also, the best way to determine if you're running rich / lean is with a wideband O2 sensor. Secondly would be the O2 readings.
The higher O2 millivolt readings means that there are higher levels of fuel vs air post combustion (rich), and lower O2 numbers means there are high levels of air vs fuel post combustion (lean).

Fixed/clarified.
A good target range for O2s is 920-940mv at WOT.
The problem with those numbers is that the stock O2 sensor is only accurate around an air:fuel of 14.7. At WOT, you're somewhere around 12.0, stock. So 920-940 is really a crapshoot...but it's usually reasonable.
This accuracy is also why the computer does not try to calculate fuel trims at WOT...the O2 readings cannot be accurately converted to an AFR number.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll figure it out....eventually. For now I'll just take it easy on the throttle and maybe borrow that scanner one more time to see if colder plugs helped at all. Maybe even add a little fuel to the table the controls fuel at WOT once I understand it better

Posted on the national site, awaiting some more replies from them to see what they think just for the heck of it:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3964497&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Any sign of trouble with the idle appearing to hunt and my 02's jumping from way up in the hundreds to numbers in the 40-80 range then back up?

Is it just the intake/exhaust/thermostate throwing all the fuel off or do these vehicles have this much trim problem when stock? I know they come from the factory with knock, guess the question is what dangerous or not....hmmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: