Digital Horsepower PCM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, I've never or can't remeber Ataping a stock car? But I've read on the nats site, about stock car with the 3.8 have KR? So I'm sure it happends. Another thing everyone should remeber is the more the car is modded and the more power your making KR gets worst for the motor. So a KR number is relavent
A) Take a 180 Tstat, 104 plugs, CAI, DP car (hell even a bone stock car) if you put a 3.0 and 87 octane and go WOT 0-130 (125 LOL) Car making 200-220 WHP stock motor. And you see 10+* or KR and only about 1-4 of timming adavce. You could do this 20 times and a row. Than take the 3.0 off and the car will be fine (not pop a piston) and you can mod it like normal from there. It wasn't going any "good" to the car, and I would take a motor this didn;'t happen to over one that did, But it will last with the light mods for 100K+ miles.

B) Now take hevy modded car 330-350 WHP: 2.8 2.6pulley, IC, XP cam, TOGs, sg4 M90, LS1 TB, CAI, ported heads. With thouse mods the car, can run 22-25 degs timming adavce with no KR on edit, PUMP gas. 1st thing I can think of to get 10* KR would be the IC pump fails. You do a WOT run 0-130 with 10* KR the stock long block will last thu that maybe 1-2 WOT runs.

Things that will get damage: Think of KR as taking a hammer and hitting your piston tops when you see the number on the labtop screen.
Rod knock. (detontaion impacts traveling thu the rods and beating the fawK out the rod berings)
Chiping the upper ring land off 1 or more pistons. (happends often, people don't now about it and later the motor destoryes it's self hiding this damage)
Cracking a piston. the skirt brakes off, Or thu the wrist pin hole. taking out the bottom end.
Exhaust vavle head. getting too hot and sezing in the guild open, and the piston hits it (snaps it off)

Last edited by studderin on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the CASE learn make sure you tell them MANY MANY times to NOT reflash the PCM! And if at all possible have them put it in writing so that if they do, the place is responsible for replacement of the PCM.

Now go out and drive the car....punch it from 35 and then again from 75-80....you'll love what it does!
ROSS3ROffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1376

Kenny Rosser
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back home from my CASE learn and it cost only $30. I went for a few hard runs and WOW what a difference, I love it!! I'm hitting the highway later to see what it does and enjoy this mod.
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good thread. Its nice to see two sides discussed about the great PCM debate.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluto2000gs wrote:
This was a good thread. Its nice to see two sides discussed about the great PCM debate.

I think Kerry would support Intense. Laughing
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, have fun. But remeber the WOT downshifts arn't doing any good for the trans. So get the 40 WOT skip shift out of you system now, then try to aviod it.
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I think of Knock as hitting the pistons with a hammer, (not knock retard)
, and this IS very bad. In the older cars that did not have computer controlled timing advance, just vacuum advance, you were much more prone to seeing actuall knock. I heard it in some of my 60's cars with that audiable warning you knew you better put higher octane gas in your car and check your ignition system. If you didn;t you ran a great risk of damaging your engine.
I think of knock retard as the computer automatically retarding your timing when the KR SENSORS detect the niose of knock starting to occure.
Or in your case of hammer hitting piston, the computer pulls the piston or hammer away from each other just before they hit. So if you design a PCM' you make sure they can pull timing back fast enough and in the right amount to pervent KNOCK from happening. I think I heard a stock PCM is capable of pulling 10 degrees of timing, and the custom ones even more.
Knock sensores are basically microphones thst detect noise in the decible range the designers identify as being knock in that motor. This is what makes me wonder when you say the car you A tapped with the Intense PCM pulled no timing, stayed at 19 degrees of ingnition timing and showed lots of KR, that would be BAD. It is much different then what I have seen.
The Intense (and the DHP) PCM's I have A tapped have all lowered timing when KR is present and increased it as KR deminished, just as I would expect.
I think Larry has A tap logs of his Intense PCM as he was running it the last day of racing at NYIRP last sunday, he ran very close to his PB at Norwalk with much less traction so I guess he is also happy with his Intense PCM. He has his DHP PCM (which he ran at Norwalk) also and is happy with it, as far as I know.
I do not have my DHP PCM for sale from my 01 GTP so I am happy with it also and will keep it with the Intense PCM set up for the 01
My point is and was Intense PCM's are a good and cost effective alternative to DHP PCM's and in my experience of A taping cars with both they work very much the same. I see no danger in running a Intense PCM as stated (or a DHP) as long as it is programmed for your mod level. It is the buyers desision.
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I almost forgot about Devilmaycry getting his PCM!!!! This IS his thread. All I can say is "AINT IT GREAT"
Doug
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't detect the nosie of knock starting to ocurr.

They pick up knock. So your motor in nocking. And when going WOT for a exended period of time, and your getting 2-6* or KR. The Kock recovery is aways tring to add a little of the timming back every sec. There's no way the knock recovery would happen if it wasn't. So KR number is always behind the actule nuber of timming needed to be pulled. So no knock hapening. It's better than not having any KR system, but the motor is still knocking and damage is ocurring, Over not having any knock and the KR system doing it's job.

The intense PCM car I Atapped, had a working KR system. It's pulled timming in KR. To about what the car and 90% of other cars can use a safe timming advace without knocking. That dosn't imply thats the numbers are perfecty fine doing this? Thats like saying it's O.K. to have your PCM coded for giving you at WOT 89* of timing adavce. And having the KR set up to be able to pull up to 80* timming as KR. Thats silly.

RPM IngTiming KR
3650 15* 74 *
4100 15* 74*
4550 14.5* 74.5*
4900 13* 76*
5050 13* 76*
5300 13.5* 75.5*
5650 13* 76*
5800 12.5* 76.5*
6050 11* 78*
3500 11* 78*
3650 13.5* 75.5*
3800 14.5* 74.5*
3950 15* 75*
4150 15* 75*
RPM IngTiming KR

The PCM dosn't see into future, and remeber your motor at 6,000 RPM's thats really fast. That 3,000 times per min one of the plugs is lighing the charge. With the head start to TDC. (advance in degs of crank roation form Top dead center) The plug fires giving the combustion a head start before the piston gets to the top. Yea, it fires with the piston is traveling up. dosn't sound like a smart thing. The spining at that fast of a RPM the combustion is slow, so it gets a head start.
This all happens so fast I'd have to guess for every 3 deg of timing pulled in KR over zero(KR). About 1 deg. of timing pulled it was behind. And on top of that your always behind 1* from the recovery system.
It's hard to say it but, like. Lets say thu a WOT run your see the number "6" KR in reality if you could slow the prosses down. Knocking would have stopped with timing adavce pulled about 9* . not the 6 you see in the KR number. But it's all relivent.
The safest for a motor would be not runing, as running is wearing it. LOL
ROSS3ROffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1376

Kenny Rosser
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really am enjoying the PCM... alot and girlfriend thinks its the coolest thing. She wants me to put some of the "RICERS" in my area in their place. The car does really fast now and I got the car up to 113mph with no problems tonight, I want to know how fast it will go now?
Johny Airbox is right though the downshift is cool(cause it throws you back in your seat)but its not good on the tranny. I love the feeling of the car now I think it was worth it.
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have any top speed limit anymore. The gearing will support "really fast" 150+. But the windrestined will over come your power before that. The stock unlowerd GP gets really unsafe and floaty over 120. The rear end can get out of contraol pretty easy just changing lanes too fast. I've has a few times now were I didn't feel safe going too fast. On the open Hiway, hitting small bumps in a slight turn.
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Johnny said. Don't try going too fast, especially with factory suspension and tires.

As far as more mods (I think you asked about that in another thread), you can look at the 12" brake upgrade, sway bars and better tires.
RootCanal05Offline
Supercharged
Total posts: 308

Endodontist
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intense PCM is programed so you don't need to wire for the perf shift because I guess it can determine if you are "accelerating hard" does the DHP PCM do this or you have to wire the harness through? Is it easy, this is 1st on my too do list in the spring!
Adam

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK,

For 2001:
DHP - Need perf shift pin added to PCM (ground == active).

INTENSE - By default I don't think they require perf shift and instead look for 75% throttle position. Or they will ask you for your preference. I told INTENSE that I had perf shit and they made my PCM so it used my perf shift button.
creeping_gtpOffline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 41

mike
2002 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny airbox wrote:
Cool, have fun. But remeber the WOT downshifts arn't doing any good for the trans. So get the 40 WOT skip shift out of you system now, then try to aviod it.

Can someone explain this a little for the newbie!!!!
Thanks

Also, I see that people go to the dealer and get the learn done. I called to make the apt. and I asked them to make sure they did not flash the PCM and they said, "thats the only way". GM forces the defaults into the pcm while doing the case learn. I just got my DHP PCM today and I am nervous about putting it in and not being able to get a case learn done asap.
What should I do. I am in Syracuse and need to know the correct info.
Stupid dealers....

Evil or Very Mad Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: