Off Topic should not be public

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Off Topic should not be public Reply with quote

Hey, Larmo, off topic should not be public.

I just noticed that you combined Club Events and Calendar Entries into one. Can folks still see the calendar without being logged in? Hopefully they can, but have to log into read the details since private stuff gets posted in there (addresses, phone numbers, etc.)
LarmoOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1186

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have discussions in Off-Topic that should not be public? Well I guess you may be right in that we often use profanity, etc.. I'll change it up.

It didn't make sense that we had two separate forums for club events. Now, users can post events in the one forum, and optionally add calendar data for it to show up there. Yes, you must be logged in to see.

Speaking of the calendar.... when you enter your date of birth in your profile, your birthday will automatically be entered on the calendar. I thought that was a nice touch!
FRPP 4.10s, MGW Shifter, CDC Light Bar, KDWs
Kooks LTs, Mac Prochamber to Pypes Mid-Mufflers

Mike HOffline
Top Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larmo wrote:

It didn't make sense that we had two separate forums for club events. Now, users can post events in the one forum, and optionally add calendar data for it to show up there. Yes, you must be logged in to see.

That's why it almost made sense to have two topics. One should have been just the posting, the second should have been the discussion.

If the calendar is going to be blank unless signed in, I think the whole calendar should be blocked, unless signed in. Or put a disclaimer on it that you have to be signed into see events on the calendar.

At least that way folks won't think that nothing happens here.
LarmoOffline
Cammed

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't make sense to me to have the same data in two different areas. I understand what you're getting at though. I will make the change for the calendar.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larmo wrote:
Still doesn't make sense to me to have the same data in two different areas. I understand what you're getting at though. I will make the change for the calendar.

That's why I suggested the other options.

The theory is that if people are going to see the calendar without being logged in, they shouldn't see a blank calendar.

If there are 2 threads, one simply has the notification of the event (in the public section, so that the entry shows on the calendar), and a link to the discussion (in the private section, so that folks can post info that the wouldn't want public).
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone can view the calendar, and event titles, but only people who are logged in can click on the event to open the respective thread...?
Mike HOffline
Top Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redross17 wrote:
So, anyone can view the calendar, and event titles, but only people who are logged in can click on the event to open the respective thread...?

Almost. In my world, the thread that actually has the calendar entry would be public. The only info in the thread would be a link to another, private thread with the conversation.

But this is not how things are now.

Unless things have changed since last night, nothing shows on the calendar unless you are signed in. If you are not signed in, you see a blank calendar. If you are signed in, you see entries, and can click on them to go to the threads.

My theory is to protect the somewhat private nature of info that is frequently posted in event threads, like addresses, phone number, etc.
LarmoOffline
Cammed

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, no that is not how it is now. When users click on the calendar they see everything if they are logged in. IF they are not logged in, they are prompted to login. It's that simple. No blank calendars...
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My theory is to protect the somewhat private nature of info that is frequently posted in event threads, like addresses, phone number, etc

Not to sound like a dick, but instead of blocking out potential non-members from checking out meets and such in the name of Security, wouldn't it make more sense for those who post sensitive info to just PM or e-mail there address or phone number to an individual instead of posting it? Makes sense to me...but obviously not to you guys?

I just feel that by blocking non-members from viewing potential club meets they may want to attend and instead making them join the club just to see that info makes no sense. They should be able to see a list of club events and locations somewhere on this site so if they want to come they can. Maybe just make the clander viewable by all and any dates added would have meet info such as Location and time. If they want more info then they would have to join up to view that info.
I mean afterall everyone was concerned about getting more members involved, but in the name of Security you have possibly blocked those members who wish to remain annoymous.

Just my $.02
LarmoOffline
Cammed

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I can agree with that.
Let's remember, however.... that registering for this site is not exactly the same as "joining the club." People can register quickly for the website to see club info. Of course, if you guys want we can make the membership of this board the same as membership in the club as a whole. But that's not a decision I can make.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty Mac wrote:
They should be able to see a list of club events and locations somewhere on this site so if they want to come they can. Maybe just make the clander viewable by all and any dates added would have meet info such as Location and time. If they want more info then they would have to join up to view that info.

What you are proposing is what I have been suggesting. Reread my posts.
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I CAN'T READ!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hrmmmm....well would you look at that I was mis-reading what you were saying because i was skimming....sorry.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty Mac wrote:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I CAN'T READ!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hrmmmm....well would you look at that I was mis-reading what you were saying because i was skimming....sorry.

LOL this ain't high school... can't read the cliff notes. Gotta read the whole post.
Scott POffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3173

Like, duh.
2006 Other Car
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike H wrote:
Scotty Mac wrote:

LOL this ain't high school... can't read the cliff notes. Gotta read the whole post.

High School? I used those in college! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: