shift kit mini-mod day?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Club Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: shift kit mini-mod day? Reply with quote

OK, let's start an official thread here. I know we have a few guys interested in installing a shift kit and Carl says he can get us access to a lift in a heated garage so let's set something up. Perhaps a Saturday in Feb? We will need some time to get the kits from Intense and perhaps if we get enough guys to order at the same time we could get a discount on them? (would have to email Scott at Intense to ask and it would depend on how many we have I'm sure)

So - sound off here if you are interested in this

2)- who has shift kits in their cars? (larry? doug? john?) definitely worth it? pros? cons? and, would you guys be available to assist/advise on the installs? thanks
UNYCGP Council of Elders
BroshOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 470

Jason B.
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in but...

Bad news... my car is off the road for the winter. I could have it put back on for the day though.
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. I have a shift kit to install in my silver GTP too. Scott may or may not give us a discount, but he'll probably send them all to one person to save on shipping. I think we did this with him once before with shift kits.
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
I'm interested. I have a shift kit to install in my silver GTP too. Scott may or may not give us a discount, but he'll probably send them all to one person to save on shipping. I think we did this with him once before with shift kits.

you have 2 GTPs Larry?!? Shocked I thought Doug was the only one with 2?
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott said this via email today-
"If we can get all the orders on the same day, we can do 1% for each Shift Pak, up to 10% off. So, seven Shift Pak orders would get everyone a 7% discount.
Does that sound fair to you?
Thanks for the opportunity!
Hope to see you at IDD VI

Scott A. Cook"

So, if we get 5 guys, 5% off each one (only $6.50 off) but we could also have them sent to one address to save on freight guys.
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This souds good.
The Shop is in Honeoye wich is south of Rochester. Not Honeoye Falls, its in Honeoye. Thats about 20 miles from Honeoye Falls.

Just want to make sure everyone know that.

But there is no way I will pay near a hundred bucks for a shift kit that Intense pays $40 for.

Go here ----> http://www.txchange.com/sk.htm
Look up sk4t65E-Jr
The kit is $50.65.
I used these guys before for a reprograming kit and it worked very well.
Transgo is the best manufacturer of shift kits.

If you don't agree go ahead and get the intense model, I'll get the Transgo and we can compare parts. I will bet a six pack Intense uses Transgo kits.

Quote:
TRANSGO SK 4T65E-JR CORRECTS, PREVENTS or REDUCES long soft shifts, hard shifts, low pressure, no 4th gear, no torque converter lockup, 3rd clutch failure. This kit also addresses codes P1811 and P0741. Comes with complete, easy to follow instructions.

redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TRANSGO SK 4T65E-JR CORRECTS, PREVENTS or REDUCES long soft shifts, hard shifts, low pressure, no 4th gear, no torque converter lockup, 3rd clutch failure. This kit also addresses codes P1811 and P0741. Comes with complete, easy to follow instructions.

Sounds like I should be getting one of these. Laughing
RootCanal05Offline
Supercharged
Total posts: 308

Endodontist
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Is it worth getting a shift kit when you have a DHP. I was talking to someone about it and they said you should get one or the other? I'd be in to get one but I have no friggin clue how to put one in. Embarassed

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question Adam, dunno. I already have a DHP PCM. I now wonder also, but I think they can be used together. John? Larry? Doug? Laughing

as far as transgo vs. Intense goes - does the transgo kit come with a filter also? The intense kit is pretty complete and you'd also have to pay freight on the trans go from California. It would be interesting to see if they are the same though, I'm game Very Happy
$50.65 for kit plus freight? plus filter? (good idea to change fluid/filter when your there I think)
junior1683Offline
Cammed
Total posts: 1315

1999 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill go even thought im not installing 1..

gets boreing here in syracuse
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that having a DHP and a shift kit is extra hard on a tranny and not a good idea.

I would have picked that up years ago when I used to frequent the national boards. Opinions may have changed since then... or the kit may have improved.
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering a PCM is an electronic upgrade and a shift kit is a mechanical upgrade they do differnt things. I have seen guys install the shift kit with the light setting when using a PCM upgrade. I am pretty sure you can set it up for two or three levels of firmness.

Somehow I don't think the PCM will take care of all the items a shift kit will. Anyone else know?

I don't know if the kit comes with a filter but a filter is what 15 bucks?
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can see what the other kit includes?

The INTENSE kit is complete - new gasket, filter, custom spacers, great instructions, etc.

I don't think there's a problem running a DHP PCM and the shift kit. I've had that combo in my car for at least a couple of years. My transmission actually shifts harder now after my rebuild (set the clutches up a little differently to do that). The combo shifts quick and firm but not too hard. There should be a car in the club with this combo that folks can check out, maybe?
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
Maybe we can see what the other kit includes?

The INTENSE kit is complete - new gasket, filter, custom spacers, great instructions, etc.

I don't think there's a problem running a DHP PCM and the shift kit. I've had that combo in my car for at least a couple of years. My transmission actually shifts harder now after my rebuild (set the clutches up a little differently to do that). The combo shifts quick and firm but not too hard. There should be a car in the club with this combo that folks can check out, maybe?

I just shot them an e-mail asking what they include compared to the Intense list.
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trans-go is the trasher shift kit BTW (the aother way around)

Trans-go is top line.

If you guys remeber I set of a groupe buy last winter I think. it ended up being 5-6 kits. I had to purches all of them on my credit card, and we got free shipping. On all of them , but they all went to my house. So it was somthing like $4 off a kit. I had a dhp with the intese kit with my stock trans. I think Me and Chris V wern't really happy with it. The kit dose what it says, but we don't agree it's worth the $120. Are cars didn't get any faster 1/4 et/mph. The WOT shifts didn't change at all. The light thottal shifts were a little faster. The med shifts were a little harder. Major change was the downshift speed. you know with a DHP the 40mph WOT skip shit you can feel it go into 2nd for a sec. befor 1st. With the shift kit, WOT it goes right into 1st. RPM go form 2,500 right to 5,000 they don't stop at 3,500 for that brieve sec. I don't know how good this is for the trans. I stopped doing WOT downshifts when my stock trans was acting up.
That was the only thin we really noticed. But with a dhp we real didn't want it to shift any harder light thottal. Just nice as fast like it is. I still have the shift kit in. But my convertor is looser so it hids a little bit of the kit. I also don't have wave plates in the clutch packs Cool And there set up tight. Thats the main thing my car shifts so hard. I like it.
I can't say if you should get one? I have to look at it as, it might help your tans last longer. It might damage it faster? It is harder on all the hard parts so you will damage more splined and shaft parts. I do think it way overpriced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Club Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: