shift kit mini-mod day?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Club Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might damage it faster? It is harder on all the hard parts so you will damage more splined and shaft parts. I do think it way overpriced

I agree john. While you reduce shift time thus reducing heat, the question is does it outwieght the damage that the quicker shifts might add. We push more HP through these trannys and adda shoft kit to give us neck snapping shifts. I tend to agree with you but, while it might stress some parts I know they wouldn't be selling so many for so long if it caused damage.

Transgo tests them in track cars as well as regular duty cars.

Also you mention price....thats my point, Thrasher and yes even Intense are selling the exact same product but three times its value. Or we can get it for 55 bucks from Transmission Exchange. I even found another source for 44 bucks, but I have delt with TE before and had good service.

I am definatly going with the Transgo. I will post the responce the guy gives me as far as what comes with it, but the only thing I think that it does not come with is the two cent sandpaper, and the twelve dollar filter.
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, when you installed your shift kit did you put it in on the max hard setting? medium? soft?

I do like my DHP (in perf shift mode) and the way it shifts already. If the kit won't really give me more and could damage things, I have to re-think and research more.

Larry, when you ran your DHP/shift kit what setting on the kit? do you remember if it added anything? or, not much difference from the DHP?
UNYCGP Council of Elders
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Cary, there was a difference with the shift kit even though I had the PCM.

With the INTENSE shift kit, there really are no setting options. There is one setting for the GTP's 4t65e-hd (258 mm torque converter) and one setting for the 245 mm torque converter (4t65e or INTENSE TC). When I switched torque converters, I had to switch to the other setting.

Of course, it's just a matter of springs and spacers, so if you know what you are doing, it can be adjusted.

Last edited by Larry on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an e-mail from them today.
They didn't quite give me the answer I was looking for:
Quote:
The picture you sent is not a Shift Kit. Shift Kit is a registered trademark of TransGo and only TransGo makes shift kits. You can't really compare on a price basis because a real Shift Kit has better engineering, more mods and more comprehensive instructions

I explained to Greg why I was asking and cleared up my questions a bit.
I will post what he says tomorrow.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, just curious, what picture did you send to TransGo? Was is a picture of an Intense Shift Pak (as someone called it on page one of this thread)?
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike H wrote:
Carl, just curious, what picture did you send to TransGo? Was is a picture of an Intense Shift Pak (as someone called it on page one of this thread)?

Yes and I listed the components.
The main thing I am trying to find out is why Intense is charging so much. I want to know what the Intense kit offers that the Transgp doesn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Club Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: