Some Answers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarmoOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1186

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Some Answers Reply with quote

#1 -
It's been suggested that we make this forum completely private, in that it does not accept access from anyone not registered. While I can understand where you are going with this, I must make a recommendation for a slight revision to that policy.

The usability and functionality of this forum is based on the volume of it's users. The more people here, the better the forum. Part of our mission as a regional Club Grand Prix is to attract and sign up new members, as we push and promote our enthusiasm for GP's in our area.

I think many of our prospects for new members will be generated by this forum. People will stumble upon the forum and begin reading, and start learning about their cars and it's possibilities. They will soon see what such a cool group of guys we are and will undoubtedly want to join the party!!!

So what I can do is, limit access to the forum on a sliding scale basis. If you are registered and confirmed, you can do anything you want. But if you are a guest and NOT registered, all you can do is read posts. You cannot reply to posts, vote in polls, nor see user profiles or memberlists.

How's that?

#2 -
It's been suggested we add a TRACK area to the forum, where we can add our new best times, announce track closings or openings, and other pertinent track stuff. This has been added. Great suggestion.

#3 -
I think it's clear that while I know what I'm doing with this phpBB garbage, not many of the rest of you do. Furthermore, I live a life of my own and quite honestly, you guys aren't paying me anything to run this show. (although donations will be accepted Very Happy ) That said, I'll be recruiting a handful or MODERATORS to assist and help with maintaining this forum, as well as policing the posts for profanity and idiocy. Perhaps a last MODERATOR to validate posted track times in the new TRACK area. I'm not sure how to pick these MODERATORS, but this should probably be done soon.

#4 -
It's been said that this is a small group, not a big public chat room, so why are we using stupid nicknames? Well, I think it honestly adds to the character and fun of this forum. And just as it was suggested, we are a SMALL group of people, and with enough activity you'll get to know "who is who" in NO time. If you'd like to change your usernames to reflect your real names, go right ahead. But I kind of enjoy our newly derived nicknames.
To remedy this, why don't we all put our REAL names in our profile somwhere. How about under the "Interests" field? That sounds best to me. That way we can get to know everyone's nicknames, but if we're struggling to find who someone is, we can just look in their profile under "Interests."

#5 -
Larry was surprised that the forum remembers who you are when you return. Yes, this software uses cookies to store your login information. That said, if you are at a public computer, I would recommend NOT checking the "automatic login" or whatever it says when you login. Or just make sure you logout before you leave the computer lab or libary or wherever you might be. But yes, cookies are cool.

I think that covered them all. Post more here.... keep 'em coming !!!
FRPP 4.10s, MGW Shifter, CDC Light Bar, KDWs
Kooks LTs, Mac Prochamber to Pypes Mid-Mufflers

Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- point taken, but I'd rather things be private. The yapoo is private, I think. You can't see squat before you register. If someone isn't registered and wants to view the forums, direct them to join the club via email to someone, or something.

2- no opinion

3- Someone must have a list of moderators for yapoo. Make the same folks moderators here. I don't know php, but I'd be willing to learn it to help out (I learn languages quickly).

4- how does one change their username? I understand that being "fastGTP" is cool, and yes, eventually I may remember who sab0472 is (scott b), but I'd rather just know who is who right off the bat. Can we add a line to the profile page for "real name"?

5- my wife makes the best cookies
LarmoOffline
Cammed

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like if you put your REAL name is the "location" field in your profile, it will show up under your nickname in each of your posts. (look at left)

Might be a good practice until we get used to one another.
MadMikeSSOffline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 107

Mike Pengelly
2000 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to borrow from another forum or anything, but there has to be a way to add the users name. Like they do on ClubGP's forum. Would have to explore phpbb more to find that out, but I'm sure it's a field that can be added.

2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car Replica
#1253 of 2222

Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust
LarmoOffline
Cammed

Dan Larmondra
2007 Other Car
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be done absolutely, but unfortunately it is a manual code modification, and requires time and effort.

I WILL incorporate it, but it's not going to happen anytime soon based on my *PAYING* job workload. Very Happy
MadMikeSSOffline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 107

Mike Pengelly
2000 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I learn up phpbb I would be happy to do it for you. Smile
LarryOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 2201

Larry H.
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Answers Reply with quote

I'm getting very frustrated over this.

Feedback and decisions regarding the forum should be made on our existing method of communication: The Club Mailing List. There are 106 members signed up, who depend on the club mailing list. Has the entire club instantly switched over to actively using this forum? After looking at the membership list I would say no. There are active club members who do not yet know we are considering using this forum because they did not read their e-mail during the 14 minute requirement/design/implement/test/rollout period of the forum, after which it was down for a day.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and resources invested into the forum, I just want to do things the right way and not lose any of the good things we had with the mailing list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Website Comments, Suggestions, & Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: