Same Engine... Figured I'd join!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, nice. I've been looking for a 70 for a long time now and all the one's I like are way out of my budget Crying or Very sad

Is it a true SS or a malibu? any paperwork? (buildsheets, protect-o-plate)
Sounds to me that if it came with a 350 it's probably a malibu. I don't think any true SS's came with anything less than the 396.

Good luck with the restore and let me know if you want to sell it, or if you know of any other 70's around.
UNYCGP Council of Elders
swartlkkOffline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 30

Kyle
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I lied. I did find my junior prom picture (knew my wife's pack-rat ways would come in handy sometime...).

Here it is:

That's it in the background (although you can't see the whole car)...

It is a malibu, which is why it makes it that much easier to make the car into what I want it to be, not what it was stock. It is a mock SS right now. Has the bucket seat interior with center console which is how it came stock. I bought it with the cowl hood (no cowl induction), and the stripes. The paint and body work was great when I bought it, but the quick fixes showed themselves after a few years in storage. The 4bolt 350 is the original motor for the car although I am just going with what the previous owner had told me. The motor definitely had some wear inside which I found during the rebuild. I haven't found (or looked for for that matter) the build sheet. I have a feeling it is on top of the gas tank cause it wasn't behind the seat... I can't wait to get working on it! Just don't have the space for it at my apartment... We have a 2 car garage, but my landlord has 1/2 of it full of junk (a torn down beetle dune buggy). Once he gets that cleaned out, I told my wife that her car could go inside along with my bonneville. She might get a bit mad at me if my chevelle took her spot even though she loves that car as much as I do.

My Bonnie & 2000 Bravada AWD Pics
Cary CitroOffline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2370

Better living with drugs
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. Yeah, I'm looking at a 70 malibu that is in mid resto right now. Needs allot of work, but the price is right at $2800. Figure if I'm going to do a clone SS, might as well go with the 502, hotchkiss suspension, and the vette rear end right? Laughing Although, it would take me allot of years to save up for all that. The guy has 2 350's for it, so I would do the body/frame/suspension first, use the 350 for awhile, then mod the engine/rear end/tranny. Only bummer is it's a column shift auto currently Mad
swartlkkOffline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 30

Kyle
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference between a column shift auto and a floor shift auto is the collar on the steering column. My collar doen't have the gear shift lever option on it, but when I move the floor shift, it moves the column collar as well. That was a good thing when I had the snap ring fall off of the gear shift linkage on the tranny. I was still able to put it in and out of gear with the column although it was difficult to do. LOL.

Anyway, that sounds like a good buy with the current price of muscle cars. I had someone offer me $5k for mine 6 months ago, but because it was my first car, I will never sell it. My wife wouldn't let me even if I did want to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: