DHP Power Tuner vs. HP Tuners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTP98Offline
Street Slicks
Total posts: 1787

Jay
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: DHP Power Tuner vs. HP Tuners Reply with quote

OK, I figure a lot of people are wondering what tuner to buy in the future and what one will work better, plus I dont want to get away from Cary's thread.

John I took the liberty and quoted what you said-
studderin wrote:

I've used both, and own one.
The PT scanning, table layout, and orgaizion is a pile of shit. The scanning is only the text boxs, stairt out out of 1984. No tables, no grafes, nothing to better interpreat the data. HPtuners and full color gauges,tables, grafs for scaning and paly back. Its much better, to use the data for tuning.
PT dose have a few tables extra to adjust in the 3800 appluation, you can't acces on HPtuners currenty. But I dont see that overcomeing it being inferaior in every other aspect. DHP servise is one of the worst company I can think to deal with. Not only do they post daily on many fourm, have there own forum, with a team of mods on staff. Its dosnt even make sence they can't get back to you, and even so give you the help your looking for. The DHP ticket ratio is like 10-1 of hearing back. They never ship PCM and there PT on time, even with promisted dates. You can get HPtuners setup with the softwear instock over night, from them direct. PT is always on backorder, even tho its listed instock on the venders thay sell them. Most still wait 3-4 months about being billed. HPtuners has a phone number to call, that will get you a aswner right then. DHP dosnt have a phone number. HPtuners has a forum also with many good .hpt file to start with for 3800's even a file called "dhpv1.0" you can use for free.
HPturnes you dont need support, the softwear works great, its easy to use and more around. Its setup for easyier tunning, not writen by computer geeks.

DHP is command promt

HPt is mac

[/img]

Last edited by GTP98 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
GTP98Offline
Street Slicks
Total posts: 1787

Jay
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A PISSING MATCH. THIS IS FOR THE GOOD OF THE CLUB SO MEMBERS CAN GET INFO ABOUT THE PROGRAMS.

OK, John you make some very good points. I have seen HP tuners and have also seen Mega Squirt in use. Although I don't have any real hands on experience with them they both have there + sides.

I do own a DHP Power Tuner, John is right, there service sucks. It took almost 4 months for me to get mine, but I also got A/D support for free because of that. I cant say that made up for the wait but luckily it was during the winter months so I didn't need it right away.

My experience with DHP PT has been OK. I am by no means a master tuner. For me I got DHP PT because of the support for the 3800, plus it was cheaper. It does what I want and is fairly easy to use once you read the manual and read up on the forums. The forum for it is pretty good, although most people on there bust out computer lingo and expect you to understand. I do like the fact that members on the forum create modifier tables that allows you to punch in scans and the tables adjust variables automatically.

Now, again I cant say much about HP Tuners but no matter what, Tuners are not for everyone. A lot is at stake when you start tuning. There are tons of tables that you can change. A lot more than I expected, matter of fact I have left a lot of my PCM tables stock because of that. I manly have changed the spark tables, fuel, maf, VE, PE etc... All my tranny tables are stock except for line pressure.

If you have experience with tuners please post up.
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPT plus laptop on the nats for $400...

i'd love to get a tuner. never having used either, it looks like HPT has a better interface, gives your a better view of your information.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gona sell my PT Very Happy

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im considering selling m Powrtuner as well. I've seen the HPTuners and DEF. like their tables, maps, ect.
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
GreystarOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1313

Pat
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you to get HPT, Johnny, but noooo. Razz
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greystar wrote:
I told you to get HPT, Johnny, but noooo. Razz

I said the same thing when he was telling me how long he had to wait for the PTuner. I have a feeling he has an HPT or is getting one.

They just have thier act together and its just friendlier more polished product.

The new updates just came out, but there was no love for the V6 guys.
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is comes down to. Is if you own a PT and never used HPt you dont know what your missing. HPt cost more, but to most its still a better value. DIY tuning is somthing thats hard to have price affect what your really getting.

bottom line

The only way I can think that after using both, that you would still say you LIKE using your PT over HPt. Is if you you have been using PT for a LONG time, like hundreds of hrs and know it like the back of your hand.

And after using both to say you'd rather have gotten a PT over a HPt, I don't think anyone. Except for a DHP employee or whatever is gona to agree.

I think this thread will say the same. we'll see...

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3583805&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
Joe_OmertaOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 867

Joe Ventresca
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can easily make a graph w/ the scans from the pt. it's just an excel file. so yeah u have to use another program but to save $250(?i believe everyone was saying) it might be worth it for some. having little to no experience w/ either tuner doesn't make my opinion very high at all but so far it seems like stupid little stuff. tech support is a major thing w/ these tuners but even if the response is 1/10, there's more then enough info out there on other forums. i have no experience at all w/ hpt but it sounds like a great program/tuner. so all those who want to get that and sell there PT i'm in the market for a reasonably priced tuner Laughing
firecatsrtOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 398

mike
1997 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got my hptuner the end of april, went in with my roommate and a friend 3 ways and saved us all a lot of $ their tech support is great, they answer questions within a couple hours and will walk you through problems step by step. its easy to use and theres a ton of reading to gain the knowledge you need to tune. i'm very happy with it.
JSelkOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 351

Jeffrey Selk
2004 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Powrtuner from PFYC.com in late Feb. The estimated delivery was 3 - 4 weeks. At the mid 3 week point the tuner shipped and I had it a few days later.

The only support I need from DHP so far was getting access to their restricted forums and getting a 1.5 bin. Getting on to the forums took 3 emails (3 days) and getting the 1.5 bin took 1 trouble ticket and 1 day.

I've never used an HP Tuner and I still have only used the DHP for scanning so I'm pretty apathetic right now towards which is better.

-Jeff

2004 GT1
*COMPLETE MODS*
17" GM Accessory Rims
Pacesetters
Wizaired CAI
TOP SWAP
Powrtuner
XP Cam, 105# Springs
ZZP S2 I/C
Autolite 103s
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the DHP and Intense bins can be opened and edited by either tuner.
junior1683Offline
Cammed
Total posts: 1315

1999 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figure its been a few months since ive been on here so ill contribute..

i got a HP tuner, im running a used dhp from someone elses car. in order for the hp tuner to work with the dhp, u have to 1st make sure both the dhp and the stock pcm have YOUR vin on them. for $10 u can send dhp both pcms and they will do this for you. You then have to copy the file off your dhp, put your stock pcm in, copy the code from the stock pcm, then compare both files. after that you have to copy over the differences from the dhp to the stock pcm and then upload it onto the stock pcm. stock pcm now becomes editable dhp.

so far we've had to do this to my 99 and my roommates 97 gtp's.

support at hp tuners rocks, there forums are very helpful and they got tons and tons of bin files you can use to tune your car.

sorry for the book Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: