Soon To Be Proud Owner of 04 Grand Prix GTP CompG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright took delivary of it today!

Here's some pictures:

One problem has now arose as I started putting my CDs into the in dash changer, no matter what CD I put it into it it says "Check Disk". My guess is it needs to be cleaned but I'm less enthusiastic about how well they went threw this thing.

Other than that it runs pretty damn well on regular fuel...what the dealer filled it with...I can only wonder what premium would do or if it really needs it?

Since its a supercharged engine I always hear you should use synthetic oil with them. Or is regular oil ok? Then again with my lead foot I may want the added comfort of synthetic Smile

Last edited by BigEd88 on Fri May 04, 2007 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never put anything but mobil1 in any of my cars.

$20 for a jug at wal-mart. Buy it there. Best deal. You'll have about 1/2 quart left over in the jug.

Hang on to it....it'll be like getting your 10th oil change free Cool

AC delco filters too. PF-52 IIRC...fits 4.3 blazer. same 'size' but it's longer. Little more filtering area...it's a common 'mod' that doesnt' gain you much aside from some extra peace of mind. Don't get fancy on this stuff. Buy a delco filter and Mobil oil and you'll never have a problem.
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info!
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get knock with the 87 octane, run it.

I know on my 97 the manual recommended 93 octane and that's all I ever ran in it.

Fuel might be one place you don't want to skimp.
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
If you use 87, you will get knock if you pound on it. But it will adjust the timing tables to compensate for it. If you want the most performance out of the car, use premium. If you'd rather save some change, use regular.
Regarding the disc error, I'd check on clubgp, or since you just got it, ask the dealer.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the difference is $0.30/gallon...with a 16 gallon tank, that's $3.20 difference.

Buy premium.

If you mod the car, I'd say you don't have a choice.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for not posting in a few days, been busy enjoying the vehicle Smile

Premium it is! Made a good running vehicle a great running vehicle, w/o timing cut its amazing. Burns the tires all the way threw first and at the second gear shift (traction control off). Leaves some nice lines on the pavement.

I've been getting questions from the non-car people about if my power steering is going, I smile and tell them no, thats a supercharger Smile

I now understand why there is a site dedicated to these cars in particular AND why the 3800 series has such a cult following. The vehicle effortlessly moves about the free-way (ok the 90 to Oswego and back isn't "free").

Used just over a quarter tank and averaged 65mph including stops and the country roads to the campus, averaged just under 23mpg and considering most of the trip was flying with a group of 5-10 cars that happened to be flowing at 80 that ain't bad....and I may have really floored it getting back on from service areas...once in oswego took some back roads for some fun time with the new to me car and ate almost a quarter tank in less than 5 minutes.

I'm most impressed with how "driver" oriented the thing is, so easy to get to information you want...to busy listening to the engine to miss the CD's yet. Head's up display is great, no needing to look at the radio to figure out what station your on and the auto-volume on the radio works pretty well. Dealer has agreed to repair/replace radio or whatever needs to be done to get the changer working. For now the local radio is ok other than the damn commercials.

In any event, mid-day Saturday at Muffler man of Kenmore, NY I had this done:
old tips:

my trunk full of my construction tools

new tips, Solo Performance, stainless steel, T-107's I think is the part number but not 100% sure on that.

Is this how the "upgrade" bug starts Razz Only got the car Thursday Smile

Also for those of you interested in some buffalo area Sunday night shows, the Dunkin Donuts in Tonawanda on Sheridan Drive (nears Ted's hot dogs) has a great show every Sunday night, just show up, find a parking spot, pop the hood Smile Tucked myself between an old stock and new modded GTO Smile

Last edited by BigEd88 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd88 wrote:
Used just over a quarter tank and averaged 65mph including stops and the country roads to the campus, averaged just under 23mpg and considering most of the trip was flying with a group of 5-10 cars that happened to be flowing at 80 that ain't bad....and I may have really floored it getting back on from service areas...once in oswego took some back roads for some fun time with the new to me car and eat almost a quarter tank in less than 5 minutes.

23 mpg is what I get in normal driving. Here's a reference point: Driving back from IDD, cruising at 75 mph I averaged 30.3 mpg between Sandusky and Buffalo. Of course mileage depends on the weight of your right foot...
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^LMFAO! I saw ur car there! I cruised my car through there, and then I left on that road behind ur car...got on it a bit (get the s/c to whine). I was gonna park my pos there but, it was all packed. I was trying to get old guys in the ~classic muscle cars~ to run but, I got looked over (sometimes this sleeper look works against me Mad )Maybe next Sunday I'll come out and park. Cool
I posted a thread on www.nyspeed.com about this cruise night as well.
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled

Ed Green
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mguzzo wrote:
BigEd88 wrote:
Used just over a quarter tank and averaged 65mph including stops and the country roads to the campus, averaged just under 23mpg and considering most of the trip was flying with a group of 5-10 cars that happened to be flowing at 80 that ain't bad....and I may have really floored it getting back on from service areas...once in oswego took some back roads for some fun time with the new to me car and eat almost a quarter tank in less than 5 minutes.

23 mpg is what I get in normal driving. Here's a reference point: Driving back from IDD, cruising at 75 mph I averaged 30.3 mpg between Sandusky and Buffalo. Of course mileage depends on the weight of your right foot...

I should mention I didn't reset the avg-mpg thing for the trip, it included all events, for the trip, figuring it at 5 gallons, 150 miles, gives me around 30.
Quote:
^^^LMFAO! I saw ur car there! I cruised my car through there, and then I left on that road behind ur car...got on it a bit (get the s/c to whine). I was gonna park my pos there but, it was all packed. I was trying to get old guys in the ~classic muscle cars~ to run but, I got looked over (sometimes this sleeper look works against me Mad )Maybe next Sunday I'll come out and park. Cool
I posted a thread on www.nyspeed.com about this cruise night as well.

Glad to see someone saw my car at the show, a guy I did work for last year owns a 1940 Pontiac hot rod, has Indian Heads attached to the frame instead of a bumper, he drives it all the time, kinda neat, he's got the 40', I got the 04' Smile

I made the GTO guys nervous, seeing a 19 year old kid swing my car around tuck it between those two, couple people went to bat for me though, "he's a car kid, he'll back in fine" Smile After driving the dump truck at work and having my dads 98 Deville for awhile makes this thing easily maneuverable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: