Blower fan replacement or fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Blower fan replacement or fix Reply with quote

I have had to replace the heater/AC blower fan in my 98 GTP when it got to about 105k. It squealed very nasty, and seemed to not move much air. I knew it had to be changed. I took it to a local Pontiac dealer, cost over $250 4 years ago (it did not need the C board).The lower bearing was completely gone, you could wiggle the shaft a 1/16 of inch.
Then my wifes 99 GP started squealing at about 135k, and lost all but highest speed. So I figuered it needed a new control board , but thought the motor might just need to be oiled, thought I would only have the car 6 more months. I pulled the fan motor, not a fun job, but about 2 hours start/finsh. I removed the passenger seat to make lying upside down easeir on my old fat ass. I oiled the bearings and powered it up outside the car, sounded good.
Before I put it back in, I thought, what if I keep the car and need to oil it again? So I drilled a small 5/16 inch hole in the case about half way up. stuck a stiff plastic hose in it, and ran it under the dash to by the passenger side door. This was 3 years ago and almost 50 k more miles. About once a year it starts to slow down or make noise, so I put in a few drops of 3 in 1 oil in the plastic tube, turn the fan on high, and spray WD40 in the hose to push the oil into the fan motor. It is my kids car now.
Boy am I cheap Laughing
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
seen96Offline
Drag Slicks
Total posts: 2033

Drag Radials Suck on FWD.
1997 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cool" idea...Im a "fan" of that fix.

Wink
IC (Ford Cobra coolant resv., frt exchr the size of a engine rad. weight consum. rear expans. tank)
"Certified Auto Trans Shop" Transmission sold by ZZP...I have no comment for this peice of...great trans. Wink
Also,
SLP Headers <--FOR SALE
Eaton's Gen.3 M90
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that idea!
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of taking out the pass. seat. last time I took out the blower motor to oil it up I hurt my back. it was sore for 3 weeks.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the plastic hose Auto Oiler trick, don't use anything much more stinky WD40 like I did last winter. My Daughter said the blower fan had slowed down and it had started to make some noise. I got my 3 in 1 oil, but could not find the WD40 can with its spray tube. But I did have a can of PB Blaster penetrating oil, turned the fan on high, stuck the red tube in the plastic hose and let lose with a big blast. Man does that stuff stink, for like 3 days my Daughter would come home, heater on full and all the windows rolled down. I have also just used the 3 in 1 and compressed air to push it in, just don't use to much pressure or you may knock the hose out of motor case.
Scott POffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3173

Like, duh.
2006 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two times I pulled my blower motor out, I actually took the case off. I sanded the rust off the inside of the case and the magnets. I stuck some synthetic grease in the bushing and reassembled it. It got full of water a few times from a leak under the cowl, so it was pretty bad.
Mike HOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 4243

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine replaced under the extended warranty.

Was kinda funny. Be driving down the road and all of a sudden the motor would start shrieking, screaming, yelling. Completely out of the blue.

On more than one occasion it woke and scared the poop right out of my wife!

Props to Doug. Sounds like a really creative solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: