Dyno tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 47

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyno tuning a street car isn't going to help you much......get your own tuner and do it yourself, for a $300 PT you can do a much better job then they will
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmasjz45 wrote:
dyno tuning a street car isn't going to help you much......get your own tuner and do it yourself, for a $300 PT you can do a much better job then they will

Ban.

What freakin planet are you from?
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC2GIW wrote:
dmasjz45 wrote:

Ban.

What freakin planet are you from?

are you serious? please enlighten me how you think tuning a dd v6 gm engine on a dyno @ wot 3 times for $300 will possibly outperform buying your own tuner and doing it yourself.....i'm so curious to see what you have to say Shocked
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Matt can elaborate, but I think what he's so delicately trying to say is that a professional tune will far outperform a tune made by someone who has never tuned before, and/or has limited experience or tools (ie dyno, wideband). Especially if comparing the amount of time spent and risk involved.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it's on a dyno doesn't mean it's only a WOT tune.

Have a pro do it. Noone here has EVER complained about getting a professional dyno tune.

Or just put nawz on it and smoke everyone on da str33t.

Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2794

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have to agree with Matt, I've read far to many posts with people doing more damage to their cars by trying to tune it themselves. Just spend the extra money and get it tuned by a professional.

Also who said dyno tuning was 3 pulls for $300??? Dyno tuning is set by the hour, and any good tuner will tune your car until he can go no further...may be 1 hour may be 4 hours?

Dyno testing is usually 3 pulls for X dollars.... this should NEVER be confused with dyno tuning, making 3 pulls gets you a good idea of what your car actually makes on that given day with the given weather conditions. It's more about bragging rights than improving performance.
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please show me a dyno that will put an engine through every combination of load: spark/fuel cells, map, pe, afr, temp, etc for $300 and i'll hand you $300 right now and take my 20 hours of tuning back......i would be willing to bet on a 3800 they will only touch your maf, gfs , and pe tables..........any good tune should start with a volumetric efficiency tune (which will take a few hours on it's own) and i would be willing to bet they wouldn't even bother with that......i wouldn't trust any dyno tuners in CNY to do a good job on slightly modded 3800.....

you will not get a better tune in this world unless you are tuning down roads you drive everyday, and i would never attempt ONLY tuning a car in 85 degree weather....

the tuners they are using are probably hp tuners, and for the price they would charge you, you can just buy your own

i have tuned several 3800's in my life......charge my friends $30 for a basic tune (what you would get from zzp or dhp 1.0) and $150 for a ve tune and the whole works ( about 5-6 hours of time)....i guarantee my tunes are more thorough and will perform better (ESPECIALLY gas mileage) then any dyno tuning around CNY
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmasjz45 wrote:

the tuners they are using are probably hp tuners, and for the price they would charge you, you can just buy your own

i have tuned several 3800's in my life......charge my friends $30 for a basic tune (what you would get from zzp or dhp 1.0) and $150 for a ve tune and the whole works ( about 5-6 hours of time)....i guarantee my tunes are more thorough and will perform better (ESPECIALLY gas mileage) then any dyno tuning around CNY

what ET times, or if available HP numbers, have you gained tuning these 3800s your talking about?

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studderin wrote:
dmasjz45 wrote:

what ET times, or if available HP numbers, have you gained tuning these 3800s your talking about?

2nd!!! Would definatley like to see some numbers...and then say compare to what New Era did for Ed.

Also AGAIN could we clarify why you are STILL using $300 and 3 pulls as some sort of tuning 101 base?? Maybe I missed something since I just jumped in at the end of this thread?
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car has been retuned for three different setups and has about 28 dyno runs on it. So yah, 3 pulls.

I say put your money where your mouth is. djnawzbag vs. nep.

John, you think Mike would be in? Twisted Evil

FYI, all your rule-of-thumb tuning times are for people who don't know what they're doing and use crappy pre-made excel spreadsheets to alter data.

Let me tune a car for fuel efficiency. I'll just unplug two injectors. It will get like 35 mpg. HAWT.
Scotty MacOffline
Top Dog

Scott McAvoy
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a GREAT idea!! I say you let this kid tune the GTX on the street, and then take it to New Era and see if mike can make any more HP or Ft/Lbs. It will also give this kid an idea of what kind of numbers he is actually making with his tunes.

Butt dyno tuning VS. New Era Performance dyno tuning
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tune any car with any mods on it for half of what they will........If someone wants to we can do a before and after...I've got one more year of a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in math, trust me, I know what I'm doing...YOU WILL NOT get a better tune on a dyno, boggles my mind why you guys think that...Is anyone here certified in any ASE fields??????

I've tune 2 of the basic 3.4,cai, dp, pems, to low to mid 14's........Tuned a silverado SS w/ cai, exhaust, to 14.7's from a 15 something......Tuned my own car from a 15.7 to a 14.9 w/o spray and 14.6 w/ 65 dry shot....And also tuned several stock 3800 and 3400's with obvious gains and smiles on faces

Tuning is not hard, the only goal your trying to do is maximize the amount of fuel for the most amount of spark throughout the powerband. And if you think a dyno replicates the streets you drive everyday, it doesn't even come close.

If your car isn't strictly for the track, which I doubt anyone's is on HERE, then your just wasting your money by paying them

So tell me, if I don't know what I'm doing....Don't you think I would have popped something on any of these cars by now?

And my argument is about dyno tuning a daily driver 3800.....I never mentioned anything about anything under 12 seconds. I would definitely take that to a dyno
Joe_OmertaOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 867

Joe Ventresca
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ASE in electrical, but what does that have to do with anything? i agree with everyone else here, that a dyno tune is better than a street tune because you can duplicate practically everything that u'd find on the street. and why can't you have a daily driver under 12 seconds? mayb ed will chime in with what he ran w/ just a 3.4 and pems.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmasjz45 wrote:
...I've got one more year of a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in math, trust me, I know what I'm doing...

WOW!! UR TEH SMART!!! YOU NEED A COOKIE!

WTF is the difference between a 12 second car and a daily driver? Engines work differently when they are in the 12 second car?

Put a pulley'd 3800 in a 2500 lb car and it'll run a 12. You can't street tune it then?
JSelkOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 351

Jeffrey Selk
2004 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I never had any courses about GM Tuning in my engineering classes... Must have been an elective.

2004 GT1
*COMPLETE MODS*
17" GM Accessory Rims
Pacesetters
Wizaired CAI
TOP SWAP
Powrtuner
XP Cam, 105# Springs
ZZP S2 I/C
Autolite 103s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: