Dyno tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 47

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC2GIW wrote:
dmasjz45 wrote:
...I've got one more year of a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in math, trust me, I know what I'm doing...

WOW!! UR TEH SMART!!! YOU NEED A COOKIE!

WTF is the difference between a 12 second car and a daily driver? Engines work differently when they are in the 12 second car?

Put a pulley'd 3800 in a 2500 lb car and it'll run a 12. You can't street tune it then?

I wouldn't want to be running up and down public roads w/ under a 12s car doing over 110......sorry
Joe_OmertaOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 867

Joe Ventresca
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just cuz the car is fast doesn't mean u have to drive it that way. how many viper drivers do 200+ on the highways daily?
dmasjz45Offline
Back Seat Driver
Total posts: 47

Dave
1999 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_Omerta wrote:
just cuz the car is fast doesn't mean u have to drive it that way. how many viper drivers do 200+ on the highways daily?

Oh, so you don't have to actually run a 1/4 mile to tune for a 1/4 mile? What should I do then, cause I'm a newb when it comes to this, remember Shocked Shocked Shocked
Joe_OmertaOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 867

Joe Ventresca
2000 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyno tuning saves TONS of time and in almost every case, will outperform a street tune that someone has been working on for weeks. </thread>
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmasjz45 wrote:

I've tune 2 of the basic 3.4,cai, dp, pems, to low to mid 14's........Tuned a silverado SS w/ cai, exhaust, to 14.7's from a 15 something......Tuned my own car from a 15.7 to a 14.9 w/o spray and 14.6 w/ 65 dry shot....And also tuned several stock 3800 and 3400's with obvious gains and smiles on faces

That doesn't sound very good. Most untuned 3.4 pullied cars are already dipping into 13's. You are really talking about some small increases that could easily be associated to temperature, tracki condition, 60', etc....
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ ya thats not really that good, most GTPs run 14.8 stock. Some have gone 14.5s

my 98 went 14.6, stock, the 1st time I every raced back in 03 I think it was? 14.3 with the 1st johnny airbox, a handfull of 13.9s with a 3.4

Also rarely the most trimming without knock makes the best power. Something you don't know street tuning a car.

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmasjz45 wrote:
I'll tune any car with any mods on it for half of what they will........If someone wants to we can do a before and after..

How about this, you get these 3.4, cai, dp, pems. Cars you have "tuned" out of the mid/low 14 before you try to brag about your "tuning"

If these cars went back to a stock PCM and went faster, dose this mean your tuning was still better because it cost less?
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I daily drive my car 20 to and 20 from work everyday. I beat it pretty good from time to time, and really only when I gank the throttle in fourth going up a hill do I see any KR that would concern me. I bought the car with 35 thousand on the clock, and now it has almost 43 thousand. I bought the car about a year a three months ago. Knock on wood the only thing I've had to replace was fluids, plugs, and tires.

There's not doubt in my mind a street tune can be as good or better than a dyno tune for street use. Dyno is certainly safer. Especially if the street tune is done W/O a wideband.

Plus all improvements are only relative to ones own butt on the street unless doing a true 1/4 mile run. A dyno is certainly going to let your vehicle perform to fullest when you put the pedal to the floor.

New Era did a great job on my grand prix. Even if it doesn't like to be hooked up to a dyno easily Razz

Plus its cheaper for "retunes". They have a discounted re-tune rate.

Adding some rolling weight to the car this year (compg vs torque wheels) my car still ran a low 13.9 in hot wet weather.

The 13.7 was run in the fall, but the 14.1 or 14.2 was run not much earlier than that w/o the tune and 6-8 degrees of knock, yeah that probably cleaned the tops of my pistons possibly.

I'm running less than stock timing but times that are much better. Crusing on the otherhand timing is bumped and my fuel mileage is great on the highway.

I ran a 14.5 with Racegas, my "intake", and the downpipe/resonator combo I have. (was seeing 3-4* of knock so I tried the race gas and it worked.)

For a 3.5 pulley, I'm happy. Heck I don't even have a "CAI" in the traditional sense.

Only thing I could be happer with is the transmission shifting. Its ok, but I still do better ET's when I do it myself in tapshift mode. (Have the timeing when to hit it perfect now Smile)

Oh yeah did I mention this trip:
http://forum.unycgp.com/unycgp/viewtopic.php?t=5764&highlight=
5400miles (car drove 3500), top speed of 140mph. Every type of fuel you could think of Smile 24-25+ avg MPG and the "moving average mph" my garmin picked up was 65.6 mph, that including the trucks speeds.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are good at what they do. With that said, I'm sure not all Dyno shops are created equal.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, better gas milage from a dyno tune? Nawwwwwwwww
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
usmcz28Offline
Cammed
Total posts: 1444

Rick
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, getting a degree and taking some math classes makes you an expert tuner? I'd rather have the guy who has been tuning cars for years with a high school diploma tune my car than some seat of my ass tune. I have an HPtuners and a wideband so I'll tune it as best as I can and then I'll carry my little a$$ over to the dyno sometime this fall and have them see where they can squeeze some more out of here. So I should be a master mechanic too right I mean I've worked on a few cars this week in my driveway so that makes me an expert on everything with four wheels? Thats pretty much what you're saying, you have tuned a few cars and don't trust dyno's, so don't take your shit to the dyno go hang out with your kiddie friends at McDonalds and talk about the new stickers on your cars.
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usmcz28 wrote:
go hang out with your kiddie friends at McDonalds and talk about the new stickers on your cars.

Oddly enough, this is exactly what the "street scene" in syracuse consists of....they hang out at McDonalds on Erie Blvd or Dunkin Donuts on Thompson and talk about how fast their cars are...then have a circle jerk and go home.
usmcz28Offline
Cammed
Total posts: 1444

Rick
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, i've seen them in Rochester hanging out at the Malls or an Autozone. Sad to say but i've seen a few ricey GP's and some killer DONKS yo!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
NY GTPOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 967

Rich Boddy
1997 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty Mac wrote:
That is a GREAT idea!! I say you let this kid tune the GTX on the street, and then take it to New Era and see if mike can make any more HP or Ft/Lbs. It will also give this kid an idea of what kind of numbers he is actually making with his tunes.

Butt dyno tuning VS. New Era Performance dyno tuning

Fuck that, the GTX is mine now and Im not letting this dude touch it! I think I might run it at the track the way it is now, then bring it to NE to see what they could get out of it, and then bring it back down to the track to get an ET comparison along with the dyno numbers.

I also need something to help the mileage. Right now Im getting a tad over 15mpg in city driving keeping my foot off the pedal, which is no good. I know I should be getting close to 20 at least Crying or Very sad
2000 NBM Z28 | SLP lid | Ebay LT's w/ TSP ORY | Magnaflow catback | New Era tune | Pro 5.0 | Monster Stage2 and Tick master | BMR springs/Bilstein HD's | Spohn Adj. LCA/Panhard | Fast Toys ram-air | !EGR, !AIR
12.87 @ 110 - 1.97 60'''' - 336whp/352wtq
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont read the new rochester inside hahaha
Strenz68Offline
Supercharged
Total posts: 416

Jonathan
2007 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studderin wrote:
dont read the new rochester inside hahaha

yeah no shit lol
1968 Firebird 408 Chevy Big Block(going away for a pontiac motor soon), Holley 750 Double Pumper, Flowmaster Exhaust, TCI Streetfighter 350 turbo 3 speed with B&M shift kit, 4.11's in the rear end, Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: