which PCM????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dezldave961Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duane9586 wrote:
the pt was not for my car and i can't find anyone around here that has a tuner. What do you guys think is the best tuner for a beginner. or should i just go with overkill?

The PT is for "every" GM V6 car... just takes some finesse to make it work on non-basic ones (and sometimes even with normal ones). Rolling Eyes The HPT would be the only "directly capable" one, but it costs more & has access to only 2 vehicles & $100 to add each extra.

For a beginner, no tuner will really be worth your time/money, since you won't know the 30-40 items you should change (most are a bit less critical in non-boosted cars, but still).

Either get the Overkill, or for a less in-depth change get one from ZZP/WBS/etc., but those guys are more buyer-beware for those types of items.

- Dave
1998 Daytona GTP #838 - I/C*d MP112 L26 - Rust in Peace, engine saved
duane9586Offline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 161

Duane Davis
2005 Grand Prix SE
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezldave961 wrote:
duane9586 wrote:
the pt was not for my car and i can't find anyone around here that has a tuner. What do you guys think is the best tuner for a beginner. or should i just go with overkill?

The PT is for "every" GM V6 car... just takes some finesse to make it work on non-basic ones (and sometimes even with normal ones). Rolling Eyes The HPT would be the only "directly capable" one, but it costs more & has access to only 2 vehicles & $100 to add each extra.

For a beginner, no tuner will really be worth your time/money, since you won't know the 30-40 items you should change (most are a bit less critical in non-boosted cars, but still).

Either get the Overkill, or for a less in-depth change get one from ZZP/WBS/etc., but those guys are more buyer-beware for those types of items.

- Dave

thanks for the input, i'll check out those pcm's
StonewallOffline
Supercharged
Total posts: 263

Jerry Jackson
2006 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPtuner is the only one available right now. $650 for the pro version and that's pretty much all you need.

06 GT, HPtuner, PLX Wideband, K&N CAI, 3.5 MPS, PLOG/PEM, 3" DP, Corsa Catback
studderinOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 6272

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$650 for a 50% fuck you shit up rate.

you guys acuttly thong about buying a tuner to learn how to use it on your car?

01z28, M6 NA, mullet, T tops, siqqqq
redross17Offline
Total posts: 3600

Brian Ross
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studderin wrote:

True. It's ideal to learn how to use it on other people's cars first. Laughing Rolling Eyes

If you don't have the time and desire to make small changes over a long period of time, you, your car and your wallet may be better off buying something off the shelf, or paying someone who does tuning professionally.
dezldave961Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect to spend at least a full weekend tuning the Riviera swap that's almost finished here (and that's only got a 3.8 pulley setup with a mild cam and stock everything else right now)... if that gives you an idea of how much time actual "tuning" takes. I can take 30min and slap a generic DHP v1.5 file on anyone's car, but the results aren't typically instant, and need additional car-specific changes afterwards based on the variations in setups/etc.

- Dave
GreystarOffline
Cammed
Total posts: 1313

Pat
2002 Other Car
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studderin wrote:

Why not? It's not that difficult. If you're patient enough to take the time to read up on what you need to do.

I had my HP tuners about a month before I even plugged it into my Formula, and that was just to remove skip shift. Then when I got my headers a few months after that, I took it to the track and went form a 13.1 @ 109 at the beginning of the night to a 12.7 @ 113 by the end of the night.

Is the tune perfect? Hell no. Could more be gotten out of the car? Probably. I made small changes and got to a place where I was satisfied and it's run fine since.

The only issue I had was with O2's dying because of the stock part throttle tune being so rich and fouling them. A little more reading and that was solved too.

The irony is that after all that, I've gone back to a stock tune with some tweaks, because right now I need better fuel economy, not power. Very Happy
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$650 for a "satisfactory" tune that "could be better" with the risk of blowing your shit up

OR

$300 for a dyno tune that you know is done right by a professional with dyno numbers so you know exactly what your car is making.

Only drawback is you cant fuck with it after...which, in my mind, is better--because if it ain't broke, you probably shouldn't try to fix it.
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greystar wrote:

I had my HP tuners about a month before I even plugged it into my Formula, and that was just to remove skip shift. Then when I got my headers a few months after that, I took it to the track and went form a 13.1 @ 109 at the beginning of the night to a 12.7 @ 113 by the end of the night.

and... can I say it?
studderinOffline
Top Dog

John Csotello
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greystar wrote:

thats not fast at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: