AC LOW CHARGE PROBLEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: AC LOW CHARGE PROBLEM Reply with quote

Trying to recharge a GP that has such a low charge it won't turn the compressor on when the recharge bottle is hooked up. I know their is a fuse under the hood you can jump across 2 of the terminals to start compressor, but don't remeamber which fuse or terminals. Help anyone?
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
oppjdOffline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 123

Mike
1999 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AC LOW CHARGE PROBLEM Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Trying to recharge a GP that has such a low charge it won't turn the compressor on when the recharge bottle is hooked up. I know their is a fuse under the hood you can jump across 2 of the terminals to start compressor, but don't remeamber which fuse or terminals. Help anyone?

My 1999 Lumina 3.8L manual says: "If the clutch cycles off, you can pull the low-pressure cycling switch plug from the evaporator inlet line and attach a jumper wire across the terminals. This will keep the compressor on"

- Probably the same procedure for a Grand Prix 3.8. Also, you can try dumping freon into the high-side first then low side but you will need manifold or adapters. IF it is that low you probably have a leak somewhere so some UV dye should help.
- DHP PCM / Pace Setter Headers / SLP Exhaust / 1.9 Rockers / 105# Springs / Custom FWI / 3.25\" Pully / No Cat / Drilled T-Stat / Different idler and tensioner pulleys for better S/C wrap / GMPP Suspension Upgrade
2. 1999 Chevrolet Lumina 9C3 - 16.11 @ 85
3. 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 900 - 11.166 @ 127.58 (Till I get a better launch)[img][/img]
(alt+p)
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug what did you end up doing?

there's no low pressure switch on the GP only high pressure. its a three prong switch, with 5V and ground from the PCM and signal back to the PCM. i don't know if 5V back to the PCM is too much.

i think i'm going to get a connector for the compressor that i can hook up with a button switch to the battery, to cycle the compressor while I fill.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I loaded about half a can in the low side, started the car and turned on the AC, the compressor clicked on after a couple seconds and cycled. I loaded the rest of the first can and then one more, keeping revs at about 2000 rpm and cycling the AC on and off. the compressor seemed to cycle and then cold air started blowing out! wahoo! I haven;t had AC in three years. just in time for dog days of summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: