AC recharge tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 804

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: AC recharge tip Reply with quote

If you recharge your AC with the small cans of R134, I have found that you can get the charge level up higher by putting the cans in a bucket of hot tap water for 10 minute or so and the AC system will take about 1 can more then outside temp cans. I check the water temp with a meat thermomter to make sure it's not more then 130 degrees. They will pop out the bottom if you heat them a lot higher then that.
Your AC unit will run colder and the charge will last longer. It seems to about equal the performance of having it recharged at a shop with the large bottles of R134. Hope this helps you guys stay COOL Cool
1969 Firebird convertible 455 FUN
KC2GIWOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 5563

Matt Antonio
1998 Grand Prix GTX
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my meat thermometer to check Scotty's mom's temperature every night Idea

She is always HOT
02 Black Z06. All work done by New Era Perforamnce. 519/497 at the rear, 3100 lbs.
05 Arctic Cat Firecat F7 - Sold
07 Arctic Cat F8 Sno Pro - Smashed into 1000 orange pieces.
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AC recharge tip Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
If you recharge your AC with the small cans of R134, I have found that you can get the charge level up higher by putting the cans in a bucket of hot tap water for 10 minute or so and the AC system will take about 1 can more then outside temp cans. I check the water temp with a meat thermomter to make sure it's not more then 130 degrees. They will pop out the bottom if you heat them a lot higher then that.
Your AC unit will run colder and the charge will last longer. It seems to about equal the performance of having it recharged at a shop with the large bottles of R134. Hope this helps you guys stay COOL Cool

I was using those for a little while, but now it broke all the way Crying or Very sad
Hard to justify fixing the AC in a 2000 with 170k, but damn those leather seats suck in the heat.
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tip, i'm going to add one more can to mine.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AC recharge tip Reply with quote

[quote="bluto2000gs
I was using those for a little while, but now it broke all the way Crying or Very sad
Hard to justify fixing the AC in a 2000 with 170k, but damn those leather seats suck in the heat.[/quote]

What is happening with it? Have you ID'd a leak or is it so low on R134 it won't take a charge bcause the compresser won't engage it's clutch?
loudgpOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 593

Greg
1996 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know how much in weight your putting in the system?? The gp's on avg should only be charged to 2.25lb +/- a few if you want a colder charge top off with a can of artic cool/freeze.. not by overcharging the system

The most common mistake made by do-it-yourself is overcharging. Too much refrigerant can reduce cooling efficiency just the same as too little refrigerant. To work properly, the A/C system needs just the right amount. Always refer to the system capacity specs in a shop manual or other source to determine how much refrigerant is required. System capacities are specified in ounces. One can of refrigerant equals about 14 oz.
DougOffline
Intercooled

Doug McKeown
2001 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I have to recharge the system it is not completly evacuated or empty, so I do't know haow many pounds are in the system, just that it is not cooling properly.
What I do is use a guage that attaches to the same port I fill at. Usaully the needle is just touching the low side of the noraml zone. If I put a can in it will bring it up maybe a 1/4 or so into the normal range, but it won't take much more unless I bring the next can up to 120. I try for about 1/2 way ora bit more in the normal range. Many times I wll have 1/3 or so of the 2nd can left. I have tried the Aritic cool and it does make for a cooler system. But it costs a lot more, and if your system is looseing a can every 2-3 weeks during heavy usage,cheap guys like me just get the regular stuff.
I should have said a charge level guage is a good thing to have if you do this sort of DIY maintance on your car. Thanks
loudgpOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 593

Greg
1996 Grand Prix GT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just see soo many failures due to overcharging and get a hot humid day and the highside headpressures destroy the compressor or pop lines. hondas are known for "blackdeath" and it wipes the entire system out and all has to be replaced.. Just looking out for many who would never of thought....
bluto2000gsOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3300

Carl
1996 Other Car
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the gauge that came wth the can.
I don't recal how many lbs since it has been awhile since I did it.
BigEd88Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 704

Ed Green
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds kinda like nitrous bottles Razz For those w/o bottle heaters, hot water and 5 gallon bucket or bathtub works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: