Tuning a 2001 Impala for boost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightryderOffline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 156

John
2001 Impala
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Tuning a 2001 Impala for boost Reply with quote

This has been on my mind for awhile now, according to the Impala crew tuning a 2000-2002 Impala / Monte carlo for a topswap is quite a PITA. I wanted to run this by you guys to see what you think about it.

Link to the discussion on NAIOA

The problem:

Impala / Monte Carlo's have a very picky BCM that doesn't like .bin files from other cars (i.e. GTP) so this narrows the .bin files down to Impala / Monte carlo .bin files.

GM made changes in the transmission electronics and valve bodies in 2003. GM didn't make a L67 Impala / Monte carlo until 2004...so the L67 cars all have the "upgraded" tranny. So if you put a 2004+ .bin file in a 2000-2002 PCM the PCM won't recognize the older tranny's PCS and will command full line pressure.

So I basically have four options:

1) Run my stock L36 PCM and my 2001 tranny. I won't have the ability to adjust timing while in boost but I will still have control over my tranny line pressure.

2) Run a 04+ SS .bin file with my stock 2001 tranny. I will be able to adjust timing in boost but it will command full line pressure.

3) Run a 04+ SS .bin and swap in a 03+ tranny (along with different O2 sensors as they are different on 04+). This way I can adjust timing in boost and retain control over my line pressure.

4) Find someone who knows how to edit the registry of my L36 PCM to read boost.

I have no idea if any of this is true as i've been hearing conflicting information. The thing is...I am almost positive (85%) that I have a GP .bin file ATM and i'm not experiencing any problems. 3800power has also told me that it is possible to keep timing constant and tune out KR through fuel adding/subtracting.

Any input/suggestions from the tuner's on here?

Confused = me
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning a 2001 Impala for boost Reply with quote

#1 - those guys didn't pay attention 4yrs ago when I top-swapped a car for one of the admins on that site (04detroitls), and still don't pay attention now.

I did 2 Chevy top-swaps this year, both running the '04 SS S/C file. One is an '02 MC, the other an '03 Imp. The tranny interface behaves fine, backtracking to the pre-'03 transmissions, as we confirmed this 3yrs ago in MN on a guy's '01 Impala as well ("not a pig" had an old police Impala with a swap, that we used the '04 s/c file on). Tranny adjustments react normally.

Running proof from one of those happy drivers this summer: Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7XWGxBE2xI

BTW - it's also perfectly normal to run the L36 file, with edited timing tables and fueling adjustments with the 1bar MAP. Dunno who said timing can't be adjusted in boost, because it's done by rpms in the same exact tables that L67's have. Kalo's turbo Impala ran on his L36 file into the 10's. Nobody currently edits the L36 files to properly run a 2-bar anyway, and any who tried still had issues with the barometer rising under boost, causing the car to stumble until it's restarted.

To date, I've dealt with 4 top-swapped 00+ Chevy's, including fixing a tune for one in Michigan after it ran poorly from the "Hum Performance" job he got in Ohio in '06. All run the 2004 Chevy Monte/Impala L67 12588500 file (shared in both s/c SS models that year), edited for their specific mod requirements.

- Dave
1998 Daytona GTP #838 - I/C*d MP112 L26 - Rust in Peace, engine saved
NightryderOffline
Stunt Driver
Total posts: 156

John
2001 Impala
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Finally an answer that involves real world experience!

So would I be better off sticking with my stock L36 1-bar MAP, than wiring in the L67 2-bar MAP?
dezldave961Offline
Intercooled
Total posts: 808

Dave P.
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way is minimal work. I prefer doing 2bars, for better MAP range to monitor under boost conditions. It only requires swapping one connector to run the L67 file (or getting a nice '04+ 2bar, that uses the same connector, seen HERE on that Monte from the vid... came on '04-'05 s/c SS's, '04 GS, '04+ GP L32's).

- Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> PCM / Tuning All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: