Hello from Utica
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesdean78Offline
Total posts: 9

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Hello from Utica Reply with quote

Folks,
I currently live in Utica (by way of Vermont, Syracuse, and Buffalo..) and I'm the owner of a 2006 Impala SS.

How's it going?

Wes
Scott POffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 3173

Like, duh.
2006 Other Car
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy!
mguzzoOffline
Top Dog
Total posts: 2863

Michael Guzzo
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey wes, welcome to the site.
Pullied, cammed, intercooled. With a kiddie seat. It once ran a 13 flat.
1998 True Green Metallic GTP Sedan (retired)
Stock: 14.33 @ 96.5
PB: 13.89 @ 101 mph
beyondprecision03Offline
Supercharged
Total posts: 411

Sam
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome wes! you gotta come to some of the local car shows with the rest of the local guys lol
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: thanks.. Reply with quote

Thanks, guys..

I've taken my car out to a show held as a fund raider for a local college for the past two years now. The first year was my first car show ever and I underwhelmed most folks there with my filthy engine. This year, I spent most of my time under the hood--the same folks who were of the, "oh, ok.." mindset last year all of the sudden stopped to take notice. Amazing.

Yeah, I haven't been to any of the other local shows. A buddy of mine, Sam (who is probably on here) rides my ass about getting out to a weekly show at Dave's Diner and another in Marcy, but I haven't gotten out yet. I'm sure it'll be fun when it happens.

I've recently spent time on making the car look a little better--painting certain things, PlastiDipping the wheels, replacing the ugly-ass rusty exhaust manifolds with polished stainless steel headers, etc. I think I'm going to get the windows tinted next..

Wes
beyondprecision03Offline
Supercharged

Sam
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's me dude Haha 4 seasons car show @6pm tonight
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tonight... another dead battery. This is my 3rd Optima Yellow-Top in this car.

Wes
beyondprecision03Offline
Supercharged

Sam
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace it, sell it, get a die hard platinum... almost impossible to kill Haha
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this particular battery for two years now. What's got me the most worked up is not knowing why it is the battery died in the first place. I don't know if it was a crappy battery or if something else (like the electric cutout and/or it's receiver?) is draining the battery on me.

I don't so much mind replacing the battery (eventhough it is a pain in the ass and Advance said that they won't touch it because it could take up to 45 minutes to do the work) if I knew that it's not a short-circuit somewhere or the alternator isn't up to the job causing me to have to do this all over again next year.

Because of my surgery in May, I can't lift anything more than 25 pounds without risking tearing myself up for the next 4 months. Given that the battery weighs about 38 pounds, I've to find someone else to do it. If I can get it started (no luck so far), I'll drive it over to Papandrea's and let them deal with it; if not, I may have to call AAA.

Wow, I didn't want my newbie intro post to be me whining, but it looks like that's what's going on. Sorry guys..

Wes
G Hot RodOffline
Intercooled
Total posts: 541

Sal
2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Whining, cheese, olives and crusty Italian bread goes well together. Laughing

Seems you have done some traveling, where is home?

Welcome,
Sal
beyondprecision03Offline
Supercharged

Sam
2004 Regal GS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the guys ran optima's and we had problems, we switched to die hard platinums n never had any but it could be that your cut out is whats killing your battery if you have on the wrong fuse, you should put it on your fuse thats for accessories. but even if it was drawing power while off it would have to sit for like a week drawing power to kill it
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was born and raised in Buffalo where I grew up in Cheektowaga from birth through 9th grade and moved to Grand Island from 10th grade until my graduation day (which was Sunday, June 29th). I had signed up for classes at Syracuse University starting on Monday, June 30th, so right after graduation, I packed up and got out of town.

I earned my degrees from SU and really enjoyed living there. It was (and still is) a great city. I find myself being continually pulled back in that direction. (I'm pretty sure it's the massive amount of snow they get!)

After college I worked at IBM in Burlington, Vermont for a while; after that, I taught computer programming classes for the Vermont State College system.

I left Vermont to take a position at a SUNY campus here in Utica where I worked for seven years.

I left SUNY on July 11th (i.e. 3 weeks ago) to go into business for myself. My business is partnered with Google; I'm a Google Apps Authorized Reseller, a Google Apps Trusted Tester, and I was asked to present at Google's Boston office in February of this year about my role in helping SUNY adopt Google Apps. I also write custom web-based software. If you're interested, you're welcome to check out my business's site at:

http://www.kdaweb.com/

or on Facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/kdawebtech/

See that? How I could take a little question like, "where's home?" and turn it into my life's story? I may be the only one laughing, but I think it's funny.. (on that note, I've never been accused of not being sufficiently crazy)

Wes
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beyondprecision03 wrote:
most of the guys ran optima's and we had problems, we switched to die hard platinums n never had any but it could be that your cut out is whats killing your battery if you have on the wrong fuse, you should put it on your fuse thats for accessories. but even if it was drawing power while off it would have to sit for like a week drawing power to kill it

Yeah... I hear you. I spent a few minutes last night checking fuses and making sure all of the connections were tight. They were.

I feel bad in admitting this, but an online search yielded me some fruit last night--someone suggested that the solenoid might be stuck and to tap it with a few solid hammer blows... I tried that and the car started right up.

So, I think I had multiple problems--a low battery (sitting on the tricklecharger all day helped with that) and a hosed up solenoid. So, I'll be getting out to buy a new starter this morning (assuming the car starts).

But I've got to say--I'm so tired this morning. It's like I got 2 hours of sleep last night. It think the only way to fully wake up will be with a good-sized dose of Vitamin G.

Wes
GTP98Offline
Street Slicks
Total posts: 1787

Jay
1998 Grand Prix GTP
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Sean H having problems with a optima, his was a red top.
Im not one for autozone stuff but the duralast gold batteries are supposed to be one of the best.

Back on topic, welcome.
wesdean78Offline

Wes Dean
2006 Impala SS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTP98 wrote:
I remember Sean H having problems with a optima, his was a red top.
Im not one for autozone stuff but the duralast gold batteries are supposed to be one of the best.

Back on topic, welcome.

Thanks!

I looked into Autozone's listing for Duralast Gold batteries; unfortunately, they (assert that they) don't have anything that'll fit my car.

Does anybody know otherwise? It's an '06 Impala SS..

Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Upstate New York Club Grand Prix Forum Index -> Welcome to UNYCGP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: